DIY $15 Silencer Muffler

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by duke.55, Sep 21, 2011.

1. duke.55

duke.55 New Member

Just though some of you out there may be interested in this mod. Cheap silencer/muffler, works a treat and pretty cheap. Only a few gas/water fittings, old tin can and some steel wool. Let me know what you think?

Attached Files:

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I like DIY stuff. I've done something similar, separate in and out pipes with double walls two cans inside each other, no wool and wrapped with header tape to knock down the ping.

Once you quiet the exhaust you realize how much noise comes from the intake so next is an airbox for the intake like scooters have.

3. adrian101

adrian101 Member

do you think this will fit on a sbp expansion chamber or should i just buy there silencer from them?

what does your engine sound like with that silencer?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. duke.55

duke.55 New Member

Not sure about the SBP as I thought they were tuned and wouldnt want to mess to much with the flow?

The sound is heaps softer but you can still hear the slight 2 stroke zing...I love that sound, but Happy Valley is right, man there is some noise that comes from the intake & cooling fins that love to ring. I almost think I was targeting the wrong area for the most noise, even with the stock muffler internal drill and chop.

5. adrian101

adrian101 Member

for the cooling fins you can place tire rubber in better them to help eliminate the vibrations and dampen the sounds of the piston. Card board and mouse pad can be used to help the clutch chatter.

6. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

wow, it looks like...... a tin can attached to a pipe...not much style there.

7. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

mmmm, tin can on a stick...

wonder how long that 1/2" copper pipe will hold up before breaking... i see no brackets...

not bad for ameteur though :) would look good if it was steel and a decent size pipe.

intake noise can be a howler... working on it! the result of todays efforts seemed quieter... ride to work tomoza and see if its true...and not too "choked". pvc piiiipe :D

8. motorpsycho

I still don't understand why so many people are obsessed with noise.
    face it, 2 strokes are noisey for a reason and i think you should just let them sing how they were meant to.
    true, a strightpipe with no muffler at all is too loud, but a modified stock muffler sounds great, is louder than stock and it goves more power.
    I just don't understand the obsession with trying to quiet a 2 stroke down to a whisper.

9. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I think it's just another part of the hobby. The quieter your mb is, the more places you can ride it without being encumbered by tickets or vengeful neighbors. Sometimes, it's not the volume of a sound but the type of sound that makes it pleasant or grating. I like these bikes, but a lot of people seem to hate the sound. I think there is something about the 2 stroke happytime sound that just brings out cager-rage like nothing else. And the dang dogs hear mine for a mile and wait to ambush!

10. Happy Valley

Yeah, I agree, the quieter the better. I don't run any HT engines but do have some 2 strokes. My goal is to get them to the same noise level as as the small 4 strokes I have.

11. duke.55

duke.55 New Member

@ motorpsycho

style....NO! Knocked up in about 10 mins. Not spending money on something that may not work...CONCEPT...take from it what you will as this was more a sharing info post if anyone was interested. Also, the cops like to visit me whenever my neighbour desides she needs to be a bizzy body and says "THEY WERE NEVER ALLOWED IN MY DAY....OHHH...THERE SO NOISEY" F**RK. So.....I need it to be a little more quiet.

12. happycheapskate

Dumb woman probably doesn't know if they "weren't allowed" or just no one had one her childhood.

13. happycheapskate

What would be really funny is if someone unbolted her muffler or something, so her car got really loud. :)

14. motorpsycho

a sawzall and about 5 minutes worth of work would take care of that.
    Just cut the damm thing off her car!!!

15. motorpsycho

well, i'm sorry, but when i make something, i like to make it fit the flow of the bike.
    for me, it has to look good as well as function (but sometimes looks win over functionality).
    I don't care if my bikes are loud because i have cool neighbors and they don't really care. Heck people ride 2 stroke 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, go karts and golf carts on the roads where i live...who's going to complain about my 2 stroke bicycles?

here's the exhaust that i built for my chopper.
    Yes the muffler is functional, but it's louder than stock because i modified the baffle....STYLE.
    cost to build this exhaust? $30.00 for the pipe and muffler, and about an hour of cutting and welding.
    Notice that I cut the end of the muffler body off at an angle, and then recycled that cut off end into a chrome carb stack.
    [​IMG]

here's the exhaust that i built on my lowrider. Spookytooth supplied the expansion chamber and i built the muffler. It's a stock muffler with a modified baffle. of corse, it's louder than stock, but it too has style that goes with the bike. cost to build this?
    the exp. chamber set me back $50.00, but i was able to use and modify the stock muffler that came with the kit. about an hour of cutting and welding.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  16. happycheapskate

I think there are a lot of people on drugs, and some who are just too cranky and old to have any fun, so something about the refreshing and entertaining value of a motorbicycle, and it's sound, drives them out of their minds, even to violence.

17. Happy Valley

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some might think a bicycle made to look like a chopper motorcycle is kid's stuff, for others it's just the thing.
    Goes for noise vs sound too. Personally, I'd rather hear the sound of a BMW accelerate than the noise of a Harley with straight pipes. There's too much noise pollution anyway. I don't run HTs but I don't like the way most of them sound, I can hear them coming a long way off.

On topic for the OP, I've had pretty decent results with variations of this though I use heavier cans and drill not punch holes in them, fab a perforated baffle in the middle and don't use epoxy (it won't hold up) but use a long, thin through-bolt with end caps to hold it all together: link below.

http://scooter.wikia.com/wiki/Building_a_can_in_can_muffler

450px-Can_can_muffler.jpg

18. motorpsycho

19. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Muffler?

Yeah Moto, I'm with you. I like to hear my engines. If I'm just building a bike for sale I'll leave it stock. BUT, For my personal bikes I'll chop up a baffle in a heartbeat. I cut at least half the baffle off and then drill a few holes in it for good measure. It gives the bike a little more getup and sounds a whole lot better. I sometimes even run a straight pipe. I gotta be carefull when I do because the cops will pull you over quick for that. :devilish:
    Big Red.

20. duke.55

duke.55 New Member

Maaaate....nice chopper. Now thats the goods and really nice detail to build. TOP STUFF!!!!! I was thinking of doing something similar as this hobby is becoming addictive but OZ doesnt have many frames about unless I spend some real $$.

As for the sound.....at home with neighbours/kids = no noise......everywhere else....full TRUMPET....your right though, nothing beats the sound of a funny car or top fueller at full noise....aaaawsome.