DIY Litespeed Obed V-Belt Drive Rack mount

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by lowracer, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lowracer

lowracer Member

Hi,
    I just finished this rear mount project a few days ago. I took the engine off my front rack mount Rocky Mountain RM7 full suspension rig to test out the difference between front & rear drive. This one also uses a Vbelt but with a Whizzer sheave and is geared more for high speed than low end. I pedal along with the motor up till I spin-out @ around 30mph (53/16 gearing & 700c wheel w/175 cranks) and then let the motor take over. So far so good...Lots of fun getting aero and riding this one. My next project will be a Frame mount or Bottom bracket mount to get the weight down low in the frame...I'd say the biggest drawback of both my front & rear engine rack mounts so far is the high weight cg...
    -Alex-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Now that's a different looking ride.
    Very cool!

3. lowracer

lowracer Member

I built this one to to test out a few things.
    1- Do I like the engine on the rear or front?
    2- Does getting aero on a lightweight bike make you faster?
    So far I am leaning towards front engine, comfy cruiser, but I'm sure in-frame would be best for weight placement and handling. The Subaru Robin wont fit inside my frame without some ridiculous bottom bracket axle extensions & I like to pedal...I'm probably going to tear it down after a few more rides & switch it back to the Rocky Mountain RM7 'Super Motard' 42 lbs DH MTB. Too bad there isn't a narrow 4-stroke available for bicycle applications???

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. lowracer

lowracer Member

Today I found a 26" MTB wheel being thrown out & picked it up for a rear wheel swap to change the gearing on this rear drive MB. I had to buy & replace 2 broken spokes, true the wheel & install a solid rear axle. After spending $3.00 & some fine coversation at my local Trek store, I went home to swap the 700c rear drive wheel for the 26". The overall diameter is a 6 cm difference, & enough to make a nicely geared MB that requires less pedal assist & has a better top speed since the engine can pull it. Wife clocked me at 41 mph (gusty wind & didn't get into the aero drops). I may swap the rear rack setup onto the Rocky Mountain RM7 to see how it runs out.
    -Alex-

5. 4950cycle

4950cycle Member

Did she ever clock you once you moved it back to the front ? And if so, how did it compare Lowracer ?

6. Htown

Htown Member

verrah nice frame. Only titanium MB I have ever seen. Hw stable are those wheels on the ground with all that weight? I mean how far over can you bank on a turn? Any difference?

7. lowracer

lowracer Member

I didn't keep this project on the road for more than a week. The frame is too lightweight for an engine & I didnt feel safe with the squirrely handling.
    At least this project did make it into the mainstream with a 'Bike Snob' Friday quiz question about this bike setup...lol
    -Lowracer-

8. Htown

Htown Member

Well ur the one who put together a titanium crotch rocket ;)

9. 4950cycle

4950cycle Member

Well, Time to get the clutch for this front engine HF Greyhound Frankenstien. Lowracers experiments and comparasons convinced me to go front engine as unAmerican as it is:jester: Just to many benefits in my book to engine forward techknowledgy.:thinking: Not even mentioning being two/all wheel drive like a Rokon and feeling/being safer at higher speeds according to Lowracer. .Just no more wheelies, powerslides and jumping about:annoyed: To old for that Tom Foolery anyway. Thats why my C6-7 vertibrea are no good now:dunce: I think Lowracer told me he has had the best luck with Max Torque in 5/8 bore,sheave (pulley) style cen. clutches. Time to go back through old PMs and see the best place to get one. I remember someone saying on the form to order one with the low stall rpm springs in it. They (max torque) will put them in for you. I will have to check that out. Or is that a bad move with the HF Greyhound's power characteristics ? I know it makes for more engine braking (clutch stays engauged longer comeing to a stop) as well as engaugeing sooner on take off. Any ferther suggestions anyone ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  10. lowracer

lowracer Member

I went with the stock Max Torque V Belt pulley clutch & it seems to fit the power characteristics of my lifan 98cc engine well. I do pedal to get going to put less stress on the fork/pulley sheave. I guess thats the beauty of having a hybrid power system, you can always go on & pedal to balance things out.
    -Lowracer-