diy shift kit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by skyash, Mar 8, 2016.

1. skyash

skyash Active Member

Well I have seen lots of shift kits on the net and thay are way to expensive and the postage on top so I am making one think it's going to work?

Attached Files:

2. skyash

skyash Active Member

This is the same 12mm shaft and bearing now in a holder I can move the sprockets in or out to line up with the chain I put 2 m6 set screw in each now I need to make a mount on the shaft holder to the bike i think I might use the parts I got in the pic but I might drill in the holder a bit and put 2 long studs in the middle like a 66 cc back mount. Then I still have to stick 2 sprockets together with some gap and put back spin in the middle on the crank most likely a 20 Inc back wheel spin back sprocket and cut the teeth off drill out my stock sprocket aNd weld it in the centre then some how stick it back on the bike.

Attached Files:

3. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Will be interested in seeing if you can get it to work. Yeah, the shift kits are so expensive relative to the motor kits for what is in there. It really seems like the shift kits are part of some corporate pricing strategy that goes if consumer A wants a big upgrade beyond the normal kit then consumer A must be a high potential consumer ($$$) so we can charge more than the general consumer...

4. skyash

skyash Active Member

Going to plan down the sprockets so the chain fits to day but mounting this holder is a pain the clamps in the pic one hit the motor sprocket 4 stroke that is but fit the 66 cc fine

5. skyash

skyash Active Member

Funny thing is iam doing this at work and at $25 an hour plus every thing else the hole home made kit costs about $250 but mine is free thanks to my work and so far I got 1 to 1 and a half hours in it

6. skyash

skyash Active Member

Ok mount on it now

Attached Files:

7. skyash

skyash Active Member

Now on bike

Attached Files:

8. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Very nice thus far. So when are you going to take her on a long test run?

9. skyash

skyash Active Member

Sprocket on

Attached Files:

10. skyash

skyash Active Member

I have tested it as you see it and its perfect but I have to make a spin back pedal sprocket now from scratch

11. skyash

skyash Active Member

Something like that I think

Attached Files:

12. skyash

skyash Active Member

I just can't see a sprocket lol

Attached Files:

13. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Well, I guess at the end of this you will be able to determine if the steep prices for shift kits are warranted...

14. skyash

skyash Active Member

If you were making them all the time it wood be cheaper but so far about $250 parts and my layber and iam not making eny many at that point if I sold it would have to be for $300 so I make 50

15. skyash

skyash Active Member

But it costs me nothing to make so yeah cheap for me

16. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Good work. I just want to post here to squelch a myth.

You guys do know the our margins on shift kits are tiny? Mainly to compete with the Chinese. We clear about $4-$5 on a standard $139 Shifter kit. BUT way better than the Chinese cheater kit that does fail. Every time.

Carry on.

Timbone likes this.
  17. skyash

skyash Active Member

Spin back

Attached Files:

18. skyash

skyash Active Member

All together

Attached Files:

19. skyash

skyash Active Member

Gear cable

Attached Files:

20. skyash

skyash Active Member

I had a 7 speed on but in 1 it keeps jumping off the pedals so 6 speed now and all works by hand for now