Do I REALLY need Both front and back brakes?

Local time
12:50 AM
Im putting an engine on my mountain bike, however im getting the sprocket than Andyinchville sells the disc mount, so that means I lose my rear disc brakes, however, I've been riding without back brakes for some time now just to see how its like, and im quite comfortable with it. I am a pretty light rider, so when I had my rear brakes install the bike will continuously skid out on me. So my question here is Do I really need both brakes? I do not normally ride in rain, or anything else, and do not ride very long distances. I just cruise around, and enjoy the sites. Sofar my front brake hold up just fine, I mostly use them anyway. (avid BB7). When I get the engine will will basically rely on compression braking for back braking. I know my limits I will not go 30 mph on a city block, so I will not require much braking. Based on my Dillema do you guys think I still need my back brake, if I do I will need a whole new frame and I just brought this one. So wasting money right there if I do.

Just remember when you need to stop quickly while taking a turn or if you're on loose or slippery surfaces you're going to get very intimate with the ground really fast if you're only using front brakes. It's your show though good luck. I wouldn't ride without front and rear brakes personally.

Absolutely you need both brakes - especially with an engine! Engine braking is a bit overated in a small low compression engine.

Last edited:
That means I will have to buy another frame, which is alot more money, and transfer all my parts. Its like I might as well buy a new bicycle. Lol. I dont got the kinda money yet. And besides I think you are underratting my front brakes, when I ride my bike i ride at approximately 20-28 MPH. and i stop more than quick enough to take a turn, In addition when I had my rear brakes on my bike I never used it? There are hardly any elevations where I live, mainly flatlanding. And sofar my front brakes along serve me more than good.

These engines are low compression?i didnt know, However when I had both brakes installed I didnt use the back brakes, at all, as of now my front brakes served me more than good. There are hardly any obsticalls, or elevations where I live so... The streets are very wide, and I will not use my engine during traffic, or on sidewalks, if you minus all of that, then Emergency braking is at a minimum. With these wide streets I hardly need to brake at all. I think Ill just hold on using fronts,but when I get some extra money, ill get a new frame, etc. think thats good idea? or do I really really need it at this moment,when I install the engine.

Well, it's really up to you. If you are looking for people to tell you it's a good idea to use only the front brakes, that person will be hard to find. The odds are nothing will happen, but 1 in 1000 odds are only good until you hit that 1 time. Like I said, it's up to you. Same with helmets or any other safety devise. You make your choice and take your chances.

I have 2 back brakes (coaster and caliper) and am adding a front even though it is not the look I want...and my bike is all about the looks. However, I really want to come back from every ride.

These engines are low compression?i didnt know, However when I had both brakes installed I didnt use the back brakes, at all, as of now my front brakes served me more than good. There are hardly any obsticalls, or elevations where I live so... The streets are very wide, and I will not use my engine during traffic, or on sidewalks, if you minus all of that, then Emergency braking is at a minimum. With these wide streets I hardly need to brake at all. I think Ill just hold on using fronts,but when I get some extra money, ill get a new frame, etc. think thats good idea? or do I really really need it at this moment,when I install the engine.

Yes they are pretty low compression, relatively speaking. Under 8:1.

As stated by Hough, it's up to you, not us.

Last edited:
Brakes Fail

I have personal experience. Brakes Fail. In my case it was my rear brake. The front brake saved me from injury.

In Pablo's defense (not that he really needs it)- his device will allow the rear disk to be retained, so it's a legitimate suggestion.

However, as I have no stake in that kit....and in fact, can't use it on my bike, I'll suggest it.

Have you thought about a shifter kit?

Back