Do I want to build motorbikes?

the first problem that comes with getting sued is
one must attain a lawyer so as to protect one's self
for the one's that do own homes and carry home owners insurance
don't think this will come into effect -- would think home owners insurance will not cover

I am fortunate enough to have a lawyer friend
but -- these guys hardly NEVER work for free
thinking that he could put together a fool proof waiver for 2 to 3 hundred dollars maybe ?

a contractor putting installation into our house a few weeks ago
had me sign a waiver he had made up do to allergies I have
it stated that if I had any problems I could not sue him
it looked to be pretty official to me...

if a possible buyer looked to maybe ((not be of age))
I would be checking ID
one can not sell anything such as a MB to anyone under 18 with written permission from parents

there seem to be a few bases to cover so as to protect one's self

ride the motor bike thing

Last edited:
You could apply for business insurance, although I expect the premiums to be outrageous - if they will even write the policy. But then you'll give the lawyers the "low hanging fruit" they want, as the insurance company would rather settle than battle it out in court.

OMG no I would never build bikes for sale. Anybody around here who does this has too-high prices and soon goes away. Unless you are just doing it as a 'service', which is just like an hourly job. If you are building to order (in your garage) it could be stressful. Or not. Depends on how demanding the customers are, and which ones YOU choose to service.
I have lots of experience with cars and it's a hobby that pays very little (if you're lucky).

You make much more in some industrial field. But find a good product to rep and sell to companies that need it and have money to spend. There are so many products out there that are under-represented these days. Older guys retiring and can't find anybody to take over a 'niche' business simply fade away...
To make money you have to get low down on the the 'supply chain', closer to the source (at a lower cost). And that takes serious work and investment, as well as volume. The risk associated with carrying a product that might not move is the biggest factor.

All the Waiver means

is that you were made aware of a potential issue.
It dosen't release anybody from Liabilaty.
It's so the defendent can prove to the Judge that he warned you !!!!

I got a PM, thought I'd give an opinion, and landed in this thread after a search.

Hi again

I had a couple of questions and I was wondering if I could trouble you to see what your thinking is.

How do you go about handling test rides for customers:

Do you keep a demo bike or let them go on the bike they are looking to buy?
Do you let them go off alone or ride with them?
Any rules of thumb you keep in this regard?

Also, do you do a break-in on all the engines before selling the finished bikes?

thanks for any help

Here's how I look at it.

I'm not "selling motorized bikes", that would mean I was in the retail business.

It is more of a service, a contracting job, where I'm taking two separate units of the customers choice (bike and engine size/type), then putting my experience and knowledge into the project.

And honestly, unless you are mass producing them instead of "onesies/twosies", it is just a hobby. When all the break-in miles are factored in, one MIGHT clear $10 an hour.

I buy a business license "bikes" once per year for $10, but pay the sales taxes at my bike shop. That keeps me out of all the state revenue hassles.

There ARE guys in metro areas who can start planning ahead for $4-5 gas, and can pick just a frame from a wholesaler (Nashbar, Niagra, etc), then add wheels and cables.

You aren't going to get J&B Wholesaler prices because they have a network of dealers. That's why I constantly stress buying from a local bikeshop over online purchases, you can work out discounts for 5 wheels at a time, 10 mirrors at a time, tubes and liners and such.

Get a good enough relationship with a bike shop, and you get 2-3 day delivery on any bike in the catalogs, a discount, and customer referrals.

Then send YOUR customer to the bikeshop for saddle upgrades and basket purchases. You don't invest capital in accessories, they can adjust a derailleur in a minute or less.

Your customer is ALWAYS your best advertisement, and to back up the bikes sturdiness, you have to upgrade rear wheels ($50), tubes/liners ($25-35), and keep a few new tires on hand when the customer brings their own used bike.

You will have fewer complaints if you do that important break-in mileage yourself, then rotate the engine back to inventory and break in another.

Think about that as "long term advertising", if you've gotten the engine approaching peak performance, and your customer competes/compares to a do-it-yourselfer who ran wide open throttle from the beginning and can't break 20 mph, your bike will win.

As to demo rides, sometimes I have one of the engines I'm nearly done breaking in on one of my demo bikes, and most times I go out on a ride with them, on a different bike model with a different type engine. (Usually I'm on the 21 speed, them on the 7)

We swap rides half way, when the customer comes back he/she can make a decision, and it usually is for the better bike. Sometimes I just let them jump on the bikes themselves, with the recumbent available if they want to try it.

The most important ride is when they come to pick up the bike, so as we go along a 5-10 mile route, I can explain this and that. Then when they are out there on their own, they can pass that information to the strangers they meet.

One piece of information I want them to pass along is "I don't sell bikes, I merely build them", and the liability issue is moot.

My final advise would be carrying 2-3 different sizes of engines, you have to offer the customer a choice.

well if you plan on selling the Happy Times
plan on having some spare parts -- they will be wanted by your customers soon

my cousin just bought a Happy Time from a very small dealer down the road -- maybe two weeks ago

he has been back already to purchase
petcock -- broke on day 2 ??
new muffler -- orig fell apart on day 4 ??
head gasket blew out on day 6 ??

something else also happened -- I just do not remember
oh yes -- rear wheel came loose day 1 -- that could cause someone to get killed !!

ride that THING

I doubt they would go after the builder I mean I am no law expert myself but if you think about it the guys that get hit on pedal bikes they don't go after the manufacturer of the bicycle do they? Same thing with motorcycles to unless it was some kind of factory defect. But I would also assume as arceeguy said it would be the driver they would go after.

Back