Do motorbicycles have more flat tires?

John-Forrest

Local time
9:27 AM
I am curious if anyone notices an increase in flat tires after they install a motor on a bicycle. Last year I got kevlar tires (supposedly puncture proof) for a WildFire Bike with 49 cc engine. (Their tires went flat the first week!) I was doing fine - until this past spring I put a Zoomcycle 80cc motor on. Then within weeks, I had a flat on front tire and another flat yesterday on rear tire. Both flats didn't seem to be from puncture, they were slow leaks.

Do more powerful motors make more flats from vibration of engine? Should we use special tires, not regular bike tires? Anyone have experiences with this?

Hi John
To your question of just adding a few cc's in engine size or vibration, I don't think that is going to effect much in your tires performance at all.

There are however, multiple other variables.
From your description you mention non-puncture but slow leak.
Are the tubes of sufficient durability?
I'm wondering if you have checked the tubes or looked for leaks there, including the valve stems? Is there any damage visible in the tubes or around the valves? Any pinching going on in the tubes, what is commonly referred to as pinch flats or snakebites? Are your rims wound with rim tape to protect the tube from spoke ends, flats can come from both sides.

Seems you would want find out where the air is getting out to be able to address the situation.

In my experience, things being equal, MBs don't suffer more flats than any bicycle, the cause is elsewhere.
hth

Last edited:
Well, today I did discover a puncture in tube, but no glass or anything within the tube. Then after spending all afternoon removing rear wheel and replacing tube, tire went flat again!

Someone looked at it and saw piece of sharp rock on outside of tire that did the damage. He commented tires looked worn (after about 1000 miles use). He put on a mountain bike tire and told me to keep it at 30 psi, but it felt wobbly to me like that. I think I prefer the hybrid type, about 50 psi feels right to me.

Any recommendations for good tires, superthick tubes, or whatever? Oh yeah, does anyone have suggestions for a good motorbike jack to lift the thing off the ground? Or a good stand for middle of bike that'll lift it at least an inch off the ground? That's why it took me four hours to change the tire.

Well, today I did discover a puncture in tube, but no glass or anything within the tube. Then after spending all afternoon removing rear wheel and replacing tube, tire went flat again!

Someone looked at it and saw piece of sharp rock on outside of tire that did the damage. He commented tires looked worn (after about 1000 miles use). He put on a mountain bike tire and told me to keep it at 30 psi, but it felt wobbly to me like that. I think I prefer the hybrid type, about 50 psi feels right to me.

Any recommendations for good tires, superthick tubes, or whatever? Oh yeah, does anyone have suggestions for a good motorbike jack to lift the thing off the ground? Or a good stand for middle of bike that'll lift it at least an inch off the ground? That's why it took me four hours to change the tire.

Couple of cinder blocks to hold the bike up
and not going for cheap tubes, consider the really exepensive thick tubes, as well as taking a pump and slime with you when you ride
And every good MBer knows to check the bike from head to toe before riding

not sure this one counts

Then after spending all afternoon removing rear wheel and replacing tube, tire went flat again!

Someone looked at it and saw piece of sharp rock on outside of tire that did the damage.

not sure this one counts as a new flat
was that piece of sharp rock possible left in the tire from the earlier flat ?

not to forget some tire liners might have saved that

MM

Couple of cinder blocks to hold the bike up
and not going for cheap tubes, consider the really exepensive thick tubes, as well as taking a pump and slime with you when you ride
And every good MBer knows to check the bike from head to toe before riding

If you do the punctureproofing, forget the pump and bring a small can of air, or one of those nitrous looking cartridges the Mountain Bikers use....

My can of air has always been ready, but never been used.

I was doing some research; those slime self-repair tubes look pretty good, they're only $10. That in combo with some kevlar tires should hold up for awhile.

I always heard that you ruin your tire if you use that nitrous oxide you ruin your tire. But that would be a nice solution if you're in the middle of nowhere and it's getting dark or starting to rain!

I was doing some research; those slime self-repair tubes look pretty good, they're only $10. That in combo with some kevlar tires should hold up for awhile.

I always heard that you ruin your tire if you use that nitrous oxide you ruin your tire. But that would be a nice solution if you're in the middle of nowhere and it's getting dark or starting to rain!

I was using both the slime/punctureproof and the Pyramid punctureproof without slime....and for the time being, going to forego and use the Pyramids only.

A plump customer had a seam break on a slime type, and it really makes a mess on the road to repair.

I think its the thick rubber that does the trick.

(I don't think it's real nitrous, just a gas cartridge, I don't use them, my can of air was $2, and I have two small, made in china, road trip pumps that don't work all that well.)

a tire how to

Heres what to do to have strong punctureproof tires,keep the old tires when you replace them or find some old thrown out old tires same size or slightly smaller, cut the wire beads off and back about 1/2 inch using tin snips or heavy duty scissors and insert the old tire into the new tire. Now go ahead and put the tube in and reinstall on the wheel. you now have a double thick wall tire that will never go flat, unless you run over a giant nail thats sharp enough to go thru 2 tires!
P.S make sure you have rim tape on the wheel too.

Back