Do motorbicycles have more flat tires?

That's a pretty cool idea! What a way to save money AND recycle!

Another question: Has anyone tried to use those airless tubes? Are they any good?

I think riding mostly next to curbs where the debri is causes most of our flats.

On that doubled up tire, I tried that before discovering tire liners...the road heat and friction may rub a lot of rubber off the tube, esp. on long rides. Maybe it has to do with never having a chance to cool down.

Down in this thread, I may have built my best combo yet, for my personal bike. If my customers want to buy the $25 Serfas Tire, I may offer it on new installs.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=14974

I may not even carry spare tubes on the recumbent.

It's raining, so the test ride is hours away, but I just got through pulling off the old steel wheel, mounted the Serfas Drifter on the Weinmann 12 g. alloy wheel.

(2) rubber spokeend gaskets and (5) layers of electric tape on the inside.

Pyramid punctureproof tube AND tire liner.

Then the Serfas.

I reckon I have this thing 50-100 mils thick.

Bonus, when I aired it up, the heftier set up was much lighter than the steel wheel I just took off.

For repairs on the road you might want to carry a bit of rope. You can hang your bike from a sign or a tree limb.

I think I got that suggestion from Large Fillipino. (thanks)

I've never had to use it yet, but I carry it. It gives me peace of mind.

Roadside Debris

I think riding mostly next to curbs where the debri is causes most of our flats.

Lately they've been talking re-constructing roads with the Obama stimulus money. We should demand increased maintenance on roadsides, fines for throwing glass on roadsides, AND special lanes for us, mopeds, and bicycles! I'll be happy to volunteer for a project like that.

I sort of picture a double lane, slow lane for bikes, slow MBs and mopeds, fast lane for scooters and souped up MBs.

When I'm going faster, I keep about a yard from side of road. That also makes me more visible to people coming from right.

As gas prices soar and oil becomes scarce, there will be a lot more of us. They should prepare for that!

A customer with a 4 lb. trailer, with flags, (which he says you can't even tell is back there), claims he gets a LOT more room from cars w/ the trailer.

It's all a matter of the neighborhoods and commuters getting used to seeing the same bikes at the same time nearly every morning.

At first you are a novelty, a "surprise"....then you become the same as the old man on the slow John Deere tractor, just another vehicle to watch out for.

Well, today I did discover a puncture in tube, but no glass or anything within the tube. Then after spending all afternoon removing rear wheel and replacing tube, tire went flat again!

Someone looked at it and saw piece of sharp rock on outside of tire that did the damage. He commented tires looked worn (after about 1000 miles use). He put on a mountain bike tire and told me to keep it at 30 psi, but it felt wobbly to me like that. I think I prefer the hybrid type, about 50 psi feels right to me.

Any recommendations for good tires, superthick tubes, or whatever? Oh yeah, does anyone have suggestions for a good motorbike jack to lift the thing off the ground? Or a good stand for middle of bike that'll lift it at least an inch off the ground? That's why it took me four hours to change the tire.

I have a two-legged bike stand. To raise the tire off the ground I place a phone book under the stand and the tire lifts off the ground.

Orrr, I have a tiny 6" X 6" stool I place under the bike stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today I did discover a puncture in tube, but no glass or anything within the tube. Then after spending all afternoon removing rear wheel and replacing tube, tire went flat again!

Someone looked at it and saw piece of sharp rock on outside of tire that did the damage. He commented tires looked worn (after about 1000 miles use). He put on a mountain bike tire and told me to keep it at 30 psi, but it felt wobbly to me like that. I think I prefer the hybrid type, about 50 psi feels right to me.

Any recommendations for good tires, superthick tubes, or whatever? Oh yeah, does anyone have suggestions for a good motorbike jack to lift the thing off the ground? Or a good stand for middle of bike that'll lift it at least an inch off the ground? That's why it took me four hours to change the tire.

Tires:
If you are mainly street/smooth surface, get slicks, unless u have snow u are dealing with I guess. Thick slicks are awesome. Look up Fatboy tires. They are not that expensive, amazing ride, nice and meaty, the most amount of traction possible, great around corners and for breaking just a huge improvement and I couldnt live without them, they come with specialized flak jacket technology making them flat-proof pretty much
http://wheelworld.com/m/product/spe...ions=1110774&gclid=CKCE8_6H2swCFUiGfgod2wEIag

Have you checked pully/hoist bike lifts? LOVE... for exactly what you are trying to do, I dont miss that feeling of the bike about to fall to one side as Im holding it up cursing the chain/rim etc ahahhahah. When I get home I just pull down, attach clip to frame, pull and up it goes. There are also really cool(usually expensive) motorcycle lift/roller jacks too you can check out. Another option is replace the stock kickstand with a double leg kickstand, that way no matter where you are, even away from home (no hoist) you can pull off either wheel and your hog doesn't misbehave and start tipping on you.

maxxis ringworm tire,Mr.tuffy bike liner,double tuff tubes ,and some slime. Havent got a flat in about 2 years ive replaced the tires twice but not the tubes. And there is really poor roads in Fremont/San jose area with huge pot holes, sharp rocks, etc. You just have to find the right tires/tubes/liner for your road conditions

Back