Do Motoredbikes belong on bike paths?

Should Motoredbicyclists ride on Bile Paths

• Total voters
I'm feeling very fortunate to live in a town where there are at the very least bike lanes along nearly every major road - or at least alternate streets designated for bike traffic, and of course miles and miles of actual park paths. I'd consider it an inconvenience to use the park paths with the motored bike however due to the other bicycle and pedestrian traffic. I can almost without fail get around faster sticking to the street lanes.

Here in LA bike lanes don't mean anything, They just give people a reason to turn the road into an extra lane. I've seen people drive the bike lane, when the red light has the 2 lane road backe up, just to get to the intersection thinking they are going to make a right turn. Then when the light turns green they punch it straight and cut into the bike lane again just to pass the cars that were backed at the light. There is so much traffic in LA its ridiculus and i would say only about 80% are leaglly licensed. There is a 28 mile bike path that goes from the mountains to the beach along side a river bed. I have yet to use it but it is a great path and i think it should be allowed up to a certain speed. The path is only on one side of the riverbed, it would be great to designate the other side for MBs. Maybe if they did that it would encourage people to use mb and help cuase the metro problem here in LA.

bike lanes in Ca -- side of roadways -- we are permitted to ride
bike trails or paths -- through mountains etc -- no ride

no -- as much as motor bikers would wish to ride the bike paths
when my wife and I are walking paths or riding our bicycles
we don't want to see or hear any motors

and let's face the facts
just from what we read ((some)) here on site
would not know how to act right on the trails if permitted to access
speeding by people ? running into people ?? excessive noise ??
just to name a few -- the list goes on and on

MM

Last edited:
I met a lady biker at Bitter Lake Wildlife Refuge (federal land) who told me of the bike path they have there. When I said I did not think it would be legal for a motorized bike she assured me it was ok, and that she and her husband were rangers working there. Guess it depends on who you talk to.

I hear you mountain man. My 2.5 HF 4 stroke is pretty quiet and im trying to figure out a way to restart it in the ride after shut off. Path edicate is a must and im sure some kid on a go ped wouldn't think twice to shut down his full speed 2 stroke while passing a family. The river bed bike path down here has Hardly any traffic at all, But i would definitely be reluctant to use a path with heavy weekend traffic, yes it is inconsiderate in safety and disturbance to bikers and goers.

Riding at 30-40mph on the street will get you killed in this town.
If there is a bike path, I will be in it or riding slowly on the sidewalk.

Rgvkid -- that river bed bike path

Path edicate is a must and im sure some kid on a go ped wouldn't think twice to shut down his full speed 2 stroke while passing a family.

The river bed bike path down here has Hardly any traffic at all

that river bed bike path -- I have heard much about -- sounds nice for riding

didn't mean to sound like most here on site would blow the show
if given a chance to ride on bike paths
but -- there are just a slight few that if allowed to ride there legally
would mess THINGS up for all

it's the old 1 out of 10 that seem to spoil it for all

have fun as you ride that MB THING there

I USED to ride the bikepaths. Since I've swapped to 1.5" friction rollers on "The Dragon Lady", my bike is fast enough to motor down the highways and boulevards with cars, buses and tractor trailers.

There are two sections of roads I've traveled that are extremely dangerous for me. I use the bikepath for a short distance and travel at less than 15mph there.

If one of my engines conk out, I limp home on the path and sidewalk.

JMO, bicycling here is a deathride. :cry:

Chances of survival is greater with an MB, Orrr on a bikepath.

Back