Do some people think we are like this guy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by robin bird, Jul 12, 2009.

1. robin bird

robin bird Member

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

3. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Bad link... :stupid2:
    Nothing personal HV... Just like using them for artistic expression!

4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

^ :beatdeadhorse5:^

I understand completely, lol.

5. robin bird

robin bird Member

Was supposed to show peewee hermans bicycle video

6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

The guys who ride Harleys also like our motorized bikes (even if they don't admit it). I've had a few of them ask if a Happy Time kit was a "Whizzer" engine.

My neighbors think I'm an auto mechanic because I maintain cars for my parents and brothers - so cars are being dropped off, worked on, and picked up on a regular basis. The flash from the MIG welder also gets a few looks too. (and the sounds of the air tools) So, I doubt that Pee Wee Herman is the first thing they think of when they see me on one of the bikes I build.

7. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

Yeah my family has come to expect me to work on their cars to.I put a motor igot from lkq in my moms 2001 ford focus over a year ago.Not a fun job when u dont have a lift and garage.When i changed it it had 238,000 miles on it.Now its up to 275,000 already.the used motor had 50,000 miles on it so it gonna need a timing belt before to long.Those are a pain to time.I know because i did one on the original motor around 150,000 miles.You need three special tools for timing that thing.u need a cam pulley holder then theres this 5mm bar that you lay on top the head and it slides into the back side of the cams and thats where the cams need to be.Then theres this bolt u pull out of the side of the block behind the catylatic converter so you can install special tool #3 which is a 63mm bolt that stops the crank fromspinning any farther and thats when the #1 cylinder is on top dead center.Sound like fun?I hope she gets a new car soon.:sweatdrop:

8. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Yeah the good old days... I remember my buddy had an old GTO with the 6 pack. Blew the transmission and I had to lay on my back in the street holding it up while I told him what bolts to take out, meanwhile have a Cop screaming in your ear, I told you guy's no more flippin working on this thing out here! The things you do when younger!

I'm lucky I can lift a bag of groceries now!

9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I hear you Marty. I doubt I could bench press a hydramatic anymore, it was pretty difficult even when I was in my 20's. But now I have hydraulic trans jacks, air tools, etc. Back when I was young, my impact wrench was my wife standing on a breaker bar while I beat the snot out of the fastener with a sledge hammer. The air impact wrench does a much better job, and doesn't need to be taken out to dinner.

Eastwood - whenever I do an engine swap, the new (well, new to me) engine always gets a new set of seals, gaskets, and timing belt.(if the engine uses a toothed belt) Sometimes, they'll even get a new set of rings and bearings if the junkyard was less than accurate about the mileage. Funny how junkyard engines always seem to have 50-80K miles on them, even when pulled from 10+ year old cars...........

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Marty, RC, you think it's fun doing that stuff by hand without proper tools? Try swapping out an automatic transmission without a tranny lift, car on jackstands, and only one hand to work with. Last major mechanicing I did was just that, in a Pontiac Bonneville. Like to killed myself.

11. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

Yeah that sounds nice but when u pick up an engine for 550(which shocked me to begin with) and your on a budget that sh1ts out the window.she already got 550 worth out of it since then.You know they want 40 dollars for a rubber valve cover gasket for that thing.I do believe the mileadge was truthful because the engine looked brand new when i took the oil cap off.