Do you pedal while riding?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by S.O.G., Jan 16, 2010.

?

What do you do while motoring along?

1. Pedal with your motor.

23.5%
  2. Let your motor do all the work.

26.5%
  3. Pedal a bit, but only to help with hills and such.

50.0%
  1. S.O.G.

S.O.G. New Member

So basically I'm curious as to how many of us pedal with our motors or just motor along. Personally I pedal with mind (mainly due to cops and wanting to draw as little attention to myself as possible)

How about you?

2. retromike3

retromike3 Member

it depends

sometime I pedal just to do something. One option left out was at times I turn the motor off and just pedal. this happens when I am downtown at the university and I want to cut though the crowed. I go into "stealth mode" that way nobody is offended and I can ride though the commons without a problem.

No way I could do that in a car or on a Motorcycle.

Mike Frye the bike guy:cool2:

3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I built my bike to emulate a early motorcycle, so that's how I ride it- maybe a couple pumps from a dead stop, but nothing more. Also, my bike is geared to only pedal from a dead stop up to, maybe, 10mph.

4. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

I pedal a lot, but it varies. Sometimes i pedal all day without the motor, sometimes i let the motor do all the work, and sometimes "we" work together.

5. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

All of the above except for the pedalling all day one....too old and lazy for that. :whistling:

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

just a little stroke

Me And My Motor Bike Don't Pedal Much

when we get together
    I don't pedal much
    a sweet little machine
    and I love that touch

just a little stroke
    as I am riding up some hill
    don't pedal much
    plently of time to kill

me and my little machine
    guess that my legs are lazy
    many things to ride but I like this thing
    some call me crazy

MM​

7. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I have the motor on my bike so I DON"T have to peddle. Other then starting up , or from a stop....motor ALL the way.

8. CaptJ

CaptJ Member

I agree with Ron I DON"T have to peddle. Other then starting up , or from a stop. Thats way I put a motor on it. I get tired after a block of peddling and thats at slow speed.

... Jim

9. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

I pedal from a dead stop and when I run out of gas. I find on one of my bikes, if I try and pedal at above 14mph, the chain jumps off of the pedal side and wraps around the axle about five or six times before I can stop.

10. nsideus

nsideus Guest

If I didn't pedal I would be walking to work.

11. Warner

Warner Member

I purposely went with pretty tall gearing on my Staton kit, knowing that it would be best for me to pedal from a dead stop up to about 10mph to get things started and not wear my clutch out prematurely. So I do pedal from every stop up to about 10mph. Beyond that, I only pedal to help up hills sometimes, and once in a while I ghost pedal...just to look like I'm not riding a motorcycle on the shoulder of the road! I will typically cruise the longest part of my 20 mile (each way) trip at between 30 and 35 miles per hour, and it's through a relatively busy suburb of Chicago and there are LOTS of cops on my route. I think that when I start riding it to work again, which will be intermitten and always was, with the new legal status of our bikes, I may not go out of my way to disguise that I'm under power. I never did get pulled over or hassled in any way, by the way. I didn't use it much all last year, with 3 high mileage cars and cheaper (than $4 a gallon) gas. With gas prices rising, I may take it to work just for fun and a little exercise. It is FUN and rather therapeutic riding to work and back, and because of the traffic in my area, I can make it to work on the bike in 45 minutes, while it typically takes 30 minutes by car.

Warner

12. professor

professor Active Member

So far, I have been pedaling the electric bike most of the time.
    Exercise is a high priority for me (gotta keep pounding the 138 pound body to stay in shape). Plus, pedaling is what police expect to see on a bike. -Just another bike.

13. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

I pedal every time I ride and keep my speed at around 16 mph that way when the cops are around they don't think anything about it. Just another guy on a bike. So far it has worked well.

14. Dilly Bar Rob

Dilly Bar Rob Member

I pedal from a dead stop to put less wear on the clutch. Also if I'm pulling into an area with a bunch of people I will usually kill the engine and pedal before I come to a stop - hey, it's just another bicycle... :whistling: Other then that (and starting the engine, obviously) I don't pedal at all - the gearing (3 speed hub hard set to lowest gear), seating position and small size of the bike make prolonged pedaling quite uncomfortable.

If I drive by kids or a friend I pedal backwards :grin5:

15. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I never peddle, not even on the take off or to get the motor running. I just coast down my driveway and pop the clutch. even on take offs from a dead stop, i may push myself off with my feet on the ground, but i never use the peddles to get going. The only time that i do use the peddles is to apply the brakes.
    I don't know about you guys, but i built my bike to show off the fact that it has a motor on it, not to hide the motor.
    unlike some of you, i do not rely on it to get back & forth to work or to get from point a to point b. I built mine just for fun.

16. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Pedal? Of course.
    That's why it's called MAB, motor assisted bicycle.

17. Elmo

Elmo Member

I pedal to start the engine and to help on hills.
    Elmo

18. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

When people stare, I pedal backwards just to keep 'em guessing.

Other than that, I don't pedal. That's why I put a engine on the darned thing!

19. arkives1

arkives1 Member

do you pedal while riding

With my respiratory problems (after cancer) I cannot pedal enough to get off the street I live on. If I run out of gas or something, I'm stuck til someone comes to get me. Hmmmm, I wonder if AAA........Nahhhhh not likely! Woody

20. S.O.G.

S.O.G. New Member

Rofl! I should start doing that! Ill bet you can get some weird looks going reverse ;)

Lol @ AAA towing your MAB

Interesting results, seems pretty even. Even got a poem in there! Didn't see that coming :grin5:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010