Do you think a regular bike shop could put this kit on a bike for me.

Abc111

Local time
6:44 PM
Hi, i'm one of the few people here that are truly mechanichally challenged.If i give any local bike shop a complete kit and bicycle, will they be able to put it on?If not, who could put it on.Finally, approximately how much do you think a shop would charge to do this?

Most bike shops would spit on an engine kit because it is counter to their belief that a bicycle should be 100% human powered. Although you might find a shop to do it, I wouldn't hold my breath. You'd have better luck at a motorcycle/ATV shop.

Could they? Most complete bicycle shops probably could without a doubt, mechanically speaking. They might not be exactly familiar with the mounting but they could figure it out.

Would they, is another question. I've encountered resistance from LBSs toward MABs, particularly gasoline motors. Some do embrace electric drives.
You'd have to ask. They might cite some liability issues or some such thing.

If it were me seeking a shop as you are, I'd look for a motorcycle repair shop to do the work or a backyard mechanic.

Costs? Hmmmm, what ever you agree to. It's hard to say depending on what kind of bike and motor you have and the degree of difficulty on the install. One disadvantage of taking it to someone who hasn't done it before is they'll take more time figuring it out.

All that said generally speaking I probably wouldn't pay more than $60...thinking 3hr x $20hr. I could also see some asking a hundred.

.....All that said generally speaking I probably wouldn't pay more than $60...thinking 3hr x $20hr. I could also see some asking a hundred.

The powersports shop by me charges $85/hr for labor. No doubt that MB's are for the DIY kind of guy. Even if you don't install it, it will require some degree of mechanical ability to keep it going reliably. For someone that is not mechanically minded, a commercially built scooter (Lifan, Kymco, Genuine, Vespa) would be trouble free and have dealer support.

How hard is it to install providing i have absolutely no experience putting together or working on engines/cars.I also only have hand tools.Oh, and i'm just looking for a motorized bicycle as a "joy rider" around my cul de sac.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/

There you go, you're getting hooked. :cool:

Everything you need to know is already written here, you just have to read.

Then ask questions.

Hand tools will be all you'll need.

Go ahead, you know you want to......:LOL:

Friction drive systems are by far the easiest to install. Frame mounted chain driven engines are probably the most difficult to install and maintain. They seem to have the most reliability problems too.
I just installed a friction drive on whats usually my peddler. The whole job took me about 2 hours. Including replacing the tubes and tires to with something more friction drive compliant. I didn't have to modify ANYTHING on the bike which is a change for me. She rides like a dream too, tons of power and light weight.

Yes - if desired - most bicycle shops can easily build up a MB. There's a bicycle shop down the hill from me - that now carries MB engines - either on or off the bike.
Here's the question - if this was an auto repair shop - what if - when taking my car in for a tune up - I brought my own plugs with me. Not a good thing to do..

As a former owner of a bicycle shop - it needs to be known - there is also a liability issue here - in case of injury due to faulty setup.

A fair mechanic - small shop owner - maybe can set you up.

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back