Do you think that shows like Ghost Hunters are real or fake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Sep 15, 2009.

?

Do you think the TV Show Ghost Hunters is genuine?

1. No

66.7%
  2. Yes

11.1%
  3. No - but I do believe in ghosts and the afterlife

22.2%
  1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Just wondering because my wife watches the show, and other shows like it. They claim they capture voices on digital recorders, objects moving on video, and ghosts on video. It all seems pretty scientific if they are not faking the "proof" themselves.

What do you think?

2. sparky

sparky Active Member

If it's on TV, it can't be genuine.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I wouldn't go quite so far as sparky did, but I take all such shows with a soup ladle of salt. That said, I've seen/experienced a few inexplicable things in my life, so I won't say it is impossible - kust improbable.

4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

you astonish me...

after all that "no GOD" cr@p you go and say something like this.

You know... if there is the possibility of life after death it is possible there is GOD.

5. SimpleSimon

vtec, try reading what I Pactually say, not what you interpolate into it. I have consistently said that I see neither evidence for or need for any god in order for the universe to make sense. I have also said that belief in a god or gods is magical thinking and amounts to an abdication of self-responsibility. I do not know if there is a god, nor do you. You merely choose to believe in such in the absence of any verifiable evidence whereas I do not.

"Inexplicable" is not the equivalent of supernatural - it merely means that it remains unexplained by current understandings based on replicatable, verifiable evidence. There are lots of things I don't understand, that to me are inexplicable. For example, the apparent desperate need of so many to believe in a god.

6. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Well 38 years ago my wife and I rented an old farm house in Ontario.
    I was sitting in the kitchen reading with a small desk light when a flickering light appeared in the front hall. I got up and as I looked up the stairs there was a young girl of 10-12 walking up them.
    She had long blond hair and had on a night gown from the 1800s.
    She was also carrying a oil finger lamp which was the light I had seen. I followed her up the stairs and when she got to the top of the stairs the light went out and I was standing in darkness.

Yep, I was sober.

When we moved out my brother, who lived next door, got a call from the new tenants wanting to talk to me. They wanted to know about the ghost in the house.

I always tell this story not caring about what the listeners think. It was just an unexplained happening.

Steve.

7. SimpleSimon

Exactly, Eddy.

When I was 12 tears old, about a month before I lost my left hand, my Mom told me to go down to the root cellar that opened off the basement, and bring her a quart jar of green beans and a quart jar of corn. The root cellar door was 10 inches thick, filled with sawdust, and massive. To open it I had to disengage the door vent damper, open the latch, grab the vertical bar handle in both hands, brace my left foot against the cellar wall and HEAVE to get it started moving. It was finely balanced - once past the friction of the jamb faces and started to swing, it was easy enough to push open. Closing it meant getting between it and the cellar wall and pushing really hard to get it started (with the bottom pipe damper in the door vent OPEn and then push it on closed, then close the vent damper. I'd bet that door weighed 400 pounds.

Anyway, I clattered downstairs, turned toward the root cellar door, and froze in my tracks. There was something in front of the door, and it was moving. It popped the latch open and smoothly swung that door wide, WITHOUT OPENING THE VENT. No one, and I do mean no one I had ever met could pull that door open unless the vent was open to allow the pressure to equalize as it swung in the jamb. Whatever it was swung that door open effortlessly, as though it were a curtain. It moved in a way that gave me the impression of just standing there facing me, then just faded away.

I was plenty shook up, I can tell you. It took me a bit to get the courage together to walk over and look at the door, and the floor in front of it - which both had fast dissipating skims of frost on them. I opened the vent, went in and got the jars, came back out and closed and latched the door. When I got upstairs Mom asked what took so long - I just grabbed her hand and practically dragged her downstairs, made her touch that icy cold handle and look at the tiny patch of frost still there, told her what happened.

Inexplicable? Most definitely. A ghost, or a spirit of some sort? I've no clue, but I've no reason to suppose it evidence of anything supernatural - just unexplainable. There have been other inexplicable events/phenomena in my life, but none of them has ever suggested to me anything supernatural.

When Dad got home that afternoon I told him about what I'd witnessed. Mom confirmed the patch of frost on the floor, and the icy cold door handle. So, Dad went and got a thermometer, and we went downstairs, where he laid the thermometer on the floor in front of the root cellar door. The floor temp was 44 degrees - 12 cdegrees above freezing. He then had me show him how big the patch of frost had been - a semicircle in front of the door about 40 inches across. We went back upstairs, and Dad consulted some reference books he had, then did some calculating on a sheet of paper. When he was done I asked him wat he was figuring - he said that as I described the patch of frost, there was more than enough energy in that 12 inch thick chunk of concrete slab floor to have opened that door like a sheet of paper, if it could be extracted. The question was - how? Nobody ever had a satisfactory answer to that question.

8. give me vtec

9. SimpleSimon

Lots of oddball things occur. Doesn't require "demons", or "ghosts", or "spirits" - it just means that the occurences are unexplained. Labeling them with emotionasly/culturally loaded labels doesn't explain them at all - in fact, by channelizing thought the labels impede explanation.

10. give me vtec

so then what "natural explaination" would cause this???

Ohhh, you mean you dont have any answers???

You just want to say it is anything but those silly "angels and demons".... stupid religious idiots. Must have been swamp gas right???

11. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Vtec I agree with Simon that you can't label or explain these things. I have only told you a small portion of what I have seen or experianced that could be labeled.

Do we have to explain what we don't under stand. There are 1,000s of sightings that can't be explained. How do I explain the girl on the stairs? I simply don't.
    People that know me don't question that I saw her and those that do, I leave to believe or disbelieve

The latest one was a few weeks ago. I was looking for property on our East coast and on the one realtors web sight there was a shot of a basement and there was a very deep mist. The next shot had a shot of a woman in early 1900 clothes. You could make her out quite plainly. I checked it out two days in a row and then the ad was pulled and came back without the basement shots. Why do we have to explain these things?
    I prefer just to enjoy them.

Steve.

12. give me vtec

Im not saying I can explain these things... I just think it is ignorant for SS to rule out anything spiritual just because he is an athiest???

Its kinda like me ruling out anything scientific because I am a Christian.... ignorant.

The fact is that we just dont know... could ne natural or supernatural.

13. SimpleSimon

Did you read what I actually said? Is english your native language?

I ruled out nothing - I simply said that I see no need for anything "supernatural" to explain the inexplicable. Just as you seem to have difficulty with the distinction between agnostic and athiest, you seem to have conceptual difficulty with the idea that someone might accept that the observed phenomenon is inexplicable without feeling any urge to impute supernatural causes to it.

Which is simply yet another symptom of the delusional mindset that religious belief encourages.

14. scokes

scokes Member

I watched "Ghost Hunters" avidly for the first few season. It's not that I don't believe, but it just started to bore me. Many things did look "staged" while others, to a rational mind, just seemed as if they could be disproven by any normal person that wasn't getting paid to do a Ghost Huntin' show. Going into a building hopped up on adrenaline and being in the complete darkness would make me a little jumpy, which explains why 90% of the GH shows have nothing more than personal experiences. When it comes to the EVP, must of the sounds ARE NOT clear, and when they mention what they beleive it says, then there is the whole "power of suggestion" thing. Sometimes they are just reaching though.

As for the supernatural, Can't prove or disprove. Same goes with religion. To help out SimpleSimon, who needs no help of mine, one cannot say that the supernatural sheds evidence of an afterlife and therefore there must be a God, because unless you are a Catholic and believe in Purgatory, then all the dead people are already in heaven or the other place.

15. give me vtec

Atheist or Agnostic... I definitely understand the difference. So for the record which are you??? Because from what I gather you waiver between "I cannot say for sure"... and you people are "magically delusional".

16. scokes

scokes Member

white man pretending to be black
    "you people... what do you mean you people?"
    black man
    "What do YOU mean, you people?"

funniest quote from Tropic Thunder. Otherwise it wouldn't have been in the preview.

17. SimpleSimon

Waiver?

No, I don't waiver at all. Believing in some "god" in the total ansence of any evidence of his/her/its existence other than your own need to believe is delusional thinking, tantamount to embracing magic as an explanation for reality

Saying that says nothing at all about the question of whether I am agnostic (don't claim to know if there is any god or gods, don't see a need for them) or athiest - denying the existence of a god or gods.

As it happens, I am agnostic. Provide me some testable, verifiable proof of the existence of a god or gods, and I'll believe. Until then I don't knwq - and neither do you.

18. give me vtec

just wait... all will be revealed in time.

19. SimpleSimon

Falling back on magic, I see.

20. give me vtec

hocus... pocus.