Do you want post-count "ranks" installed on MBc?

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by gone_fishin, Mar 30, 2007.

Should MBc install post-count ranks?

1. yes

2. no

0 vote(s)
  3. don't care

0 vote(s)
  4. i don't vote in polls

0 vote(s)
  1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

truth be told, i just haven't been able to come up with a tasteful set of ranks that wouldn't be too hokey.

but, i'll ask y'all if you'd like post-count ranks, and if yes, i'd sure appreciate some suggestions on what they'd be.

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

I think it would be cool but I dunno what ranks we should have that would be related to motorized bicycling. Mabye like 25cc, 48cc, 50cc, 70cc, 80cc? i dunno, my idea is pretty stupid.
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I believe augi is talking about ranks per posts ie- no posts =lamer 100+=more knowledgeable etc...
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

exactly, 'kronic, but we don't want to be calling anyone a dummy just 'cuz he or she is new, yaknow?

so, what names do we give the ranks, if we do them at all?
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

I think some sort of theme would be pretty cool... how about............................................ hmmm

It would be cool if we did that, but I just cant think of what the rankings should be
  6. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

How about a posted word count instead of posting count. I have been involved on some forums where there are lots of fluff filler posts just to pad folk's post count. It seems that this just wastes bandwidth.
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yeah, ranks can lead to gratuitous posting, like somehow those ranks really mean something...i'm not so sure that'd be a problem here, tho.

ok, i thought of maybe using a "speed" theme instead of levels of knowledge, also thinking someday ranks could designate levels within an official club, so we'd want them to be more serious. still not sure we'll even do it, but here's what i have so far in a "speed" theme.

0-? posts: "Still Pedaling"
    1000+ posts: "Wide Open Throttle"

fill in the blanks, please, or suggest your own...still dependant on whether the community wants 'em.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd love to chime in, but "I don't vote in polls". :)
  9. apratt

apratt Guest

In the midle somewhere can have..... cruising.
  10. JFleck

JFleck Guest

How bout:

0-100 - Training Wheels
    101-200 - Still Peddaling
    201-300 - Get Yur Motor Runnin'
    301-400 - Semi-Pro Tinkerer
    401-500 - Pro Tinkerer
    501-750 - MBC GURU
    751-1000 - MBC MASTER
    1000+ - MBC GOD
  11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

those are good suggestions, pretty neat...

i'm the perfect example of why those ranks wouldn't be very accurate , tho. i manage to regularly come up with the "stoopid question"...worse still, i have a few "stoopid answers" around i'm not too proud of, either :p
  12. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

that is a brillant idea right thare jfleck
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Maybe we should have some sort of logarithmic scale so you go through the ranks quicker at the beginning

0-10 - Training Wheels
    11-30 - Still Pedaling
    31-80 - Get Yur Motor Runnin'
    81-150 - Semi-Pro Tinkerer
    151-300 - Pro Tinkerer
    301-550 - MBC GURU
    551-1000 - MBC MASTER
    1000+ - MBC GOD
  14. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

could you get something on here like that tom? that would be really cool :cool:
  15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Can we all agree on this?
  16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, as we know they don't really mean anything, i don't see why those wouldn't work. it would be nice to see more input from the community at large...methinks most people here don't care too much about features, it's the information that matters.

be on the lookout, tho, for the new-guy who posts anything anywhere simply to increase his rank, it's been known to happen.

this may force the volunteer crew to get tougher about deleting off-topic or meaningless be it, prolly a good thing.
  17. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

who is the new guy we should be looking out for?
  18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

anyone who knows me also knows i won't shy from a public challenge.

for being here such a short time, you have a ton of posts, jeffspeeder, most of 'em repetitive and gratuitous, a couple of them downright misleading to the unsuspecting novice, and you're driving our volunteers nuts trying to keep a clean board.

anyway, it'd be great if you'd spend a bit of time reading the material before asking an already asked-and-answered question. nothing like an off-topic post to kill an otherwise interesting & informative thread.

is that what you were expecting to hear? i think yes :lol:

but, like i said, some people will post a lot as if the ranks really mean something...that practice only muddies up the place, makes it hard to maintain. i don't think that's what you're up to, but the result is pretty much the same.

sorry, flat-out asked for it.
  19. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

no prob i kinda figured out recentaly that most of my post were a bit off topic iv been trying to stay on topic. sorry ill do my best to keep it simple :smile:
  20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest