Does an original Whizzer tank have value?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by upful living, Jan 29, 2009.

1. upful living

upful living Member

Hi guys,
    So this may be total blasphemy to ask within the Whizzer forum. But I am looking to paint over the original paint of a Whizzer tank. It isn't in the best shape ever, but it still has nice enough logos and such on it. I found one on Ebay for $50 which is a little more than I paid for it. So I thought I would see what you guys think. I am not looking to sell it. I just want to know if it is a horrible idea to paint it. If you want pictures I have some here.

Thanks for the input.

Upful living

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

hi Tim

MotorbikeMike or Quenton here on site are the Whizzer experts
    migh wish to ask them in a pm

have fun as you ride that thing
  3. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Tim,

The tank in original condition is worth approx. $100.00. If you repaint it the original silver [pewter] and install the correct decals it is worth approx. $150.00 to $175.00. The correct paint to use is Dupli-Color DS-FM199, this is 1981 Ford Light Pewter.

The embossed tank is worth more, but is maroon [Plasti-Kote #FM8122, Ford midnight canyon red]. I have paid as much as $250.00 for a correctly painted tank.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Have fun,
  4. WZ507

WZ507 Member

Original paint tank

Repaints are a dime a dozen, whereas there is only one factory paint job. The original tank pictured would be a very nice touch on a vintage original paint bike with typical patina. A repaint would be out of place on such a bike. Depends what you have planned - "new and shiny" or creation of a vintage patina bike.
  5. Quenton Guenther

Hi WZ507,

I take as many repaints as I can get at "a dime a dozen", LOL...

All but one of my vintage Whizzers are restored, and just didn't think much of the un-restored idea. A big supporter of the "let time make it mark" is Terry McAllister, and I remember wanting to buff the gas stains off his tank, but was soon cautioned to forget any such idea. After a while I kinda liked the idea of owning a Whizzer, as it would look 60 years later. I will include my 1948 un-restored Schwinn at the bottom of this post. Under the fenders is the nicest maroon color, however the top of the fenders look brown [rusty color], I did rebuild the motor [with NOS parts], but used 99% of the original parts
    on the Schwinn, including the spokes, rims, hubs, pedal crank, fenders, goose neck, bearings, seat [original, but re-covered], nuts, bolts, etc. Riding the '48 is just different than all the rest of my collection, in fact I rode it to "Bike Week" [local] last year, and they asked me to add it to the Whizzers I already had displayed. While it didn't win first place in the show [3 rd], it always managed to draw a large crowd.

I now understand "It is original only once", and would never consider re-storing my '48.

Have fun,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. upful living

upful living Member

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

old tank on a cherry old motor bike

Nice old tank on a cherry old motor bike there Quenton

I sure like the looks of those old motor bike THINGS
  8. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Hey Quenton,
    That unrestored 48 "H" is nice, but I think that 49 "J" next to it looks really good.
  9. Quenton Guenther

Hi Jay,

I heard a rumor someone in PA found one just like it. It even had the "J" motor, Whizzer twist controls, and the same Ivory paint. I will have to agree with you, it sure looks nice.

Have fun,