Does Anyone here Plant a Veggie Garden

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by crazeehorse, Apr 29, 2009.

1. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

I half *** tried last year, but spent most of my time working on my tiller.This year I am making another go at it.I planted Pole Beans, Tomatoes, Corn, Squash, Blackeye Peas, & Okra. I am planting other flowers, & plants to combat pests. I also want to try companion gardening. I am still researching these things, as it is new for me. If anyone is a Green Thumb, & has any tips, please share them as I need all the help i can get.:dunce:

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I got my twenty tomatoe plants in, 3 varieties, 3 kinds of peppers, cantelopes....start putting in more veggies every week.

Goatsh** is the secret.

You throw a cucumber seed on the ground and RUN !!!

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

The only thing that I can say is that I think it's a good idea to use other plants to combat pests.

Can you imagine how torturous summer would be if we couldn't get our hands on pesticides?

I have nothing else to add since I actively dislike most vegetables. Even the ones I "kinda like", the feeling is only lukewarm.

But good luck to you.

4. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

I once had , well my ex wife had 8 goats, & i know you're right about that being good fertilizer. I've also been told to use cotton seed hulls. If you read on the web , there people who use their urine, i know it sounds weird, & i'm not ready to try that yet, but it's out there, http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0404052211211.html?31

i guess if we knew what went into bag fertilizer we would'nt want to use it either. These guys say it's all about the chemical makeup. Still I think I'll pass on the Pee for now!

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Best method I ever found to keep rabbits and deer out of my garden was to go out most every ear;y morning upon rising, and "mark" the edges of the garden area with urine. Especially if you are a meat eater, it keeps the herbivore types away.

By the way, if your lawn is the neighborhood dog potty this also works well, but I'd suggest peeing in a spray bottle inside, then squirting it where needed. Just watch the dogs, and over mark where their scent posts are. It seems to intimidate dogs very well.

6. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

Cut Worm Tip

One good tip i got , (for cutworms taking down your Tomatoe plants) is to take a large drinking straw, cut up into 2 inch lengths, then slit down the length of the peices. these will slip right over the base stem of the Tomatoe plant , then push it in the ground about 1/2 inch. it works like a charm.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. lordoflightaz

lordoflightaz Member

I was in one of the mega stores and ended up talking to a guy. He told me to go to one of the hydroponics stores and pick up some starter ferterlizer from them and use it in your conventional garden. He said that the plants really grow big. Time will tell.

I'm growing peppers, oregano, and tomatoes next to the walkway to my front door., been thinking about some sqaush on the other side of the walkway. In my backyard I have a little garden with more peppers, tomatos, parsley, sage, coriander(cilantro) I have rosemary as a landscaping plant. I have grapes but I lose them to the birds.

8. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

i like the concept of companion gardening. Example: Plant some corn, then plant some pole beans with the corn, the pole beans climb the corn stalks, so no need for poles, then plant squash in between your rows of corn & pole beans. the broad squash shade the ground, & keep it from getting too dry in the hottest part of summer. Neat Stuff!

9. kerf

kerf Guest

DOG BULLY!
    Years ago, my neighbor and I had gardens. We scrounged manure, rotten sawdust and a little sand (soil had lots of clay). The work was hard but the benefits were great. Tomatoes, squash, okra. cucumbers, green beans and peppers, supper was an event. Wish I had the time now or maybe just the get up and go.

10. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I planted some merigold flowers around my Tomatoes yesterday, & next week i'm planting some mint, & garlic to keep the pests off my other plants. I am putting a lot more effort into mine this year. I live in timberland, & last year the bees swarmed my corn. they stayed on it for 3 days. it did'nt put out anything. i still don't know why this happened, maybe cause i used the Candy Corn Variety, too sweet, the bees could'nt resist it. better luck this year, i hope.

11. kerf

kerf Guest

Don't forget, mint & garlic aren't just garden garnish "they be good too". A little mint tea or perhaps mint julep helps to end the day on a good note.

12. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Human urine or any other urine is in the form of uric acid... This will wildly throw your ph balances and while it adds nitrogen, it does so in an acidic way! The best way to add nitrogen to a garden is in it's purist form (rain). Second best is one thats fully composted such as earth worm castings or fish p--p!

13. loquin

loquin Active Member

The neat thing about planting beans WITH the corn is that beans are nitrogen fixing plants, so they would tend to push nitrogen into the soil at the same time that the corn needs it...

14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Wood ash, from your bbq grills & woodstoves, sprinkled on your plants, makes a natural deterrent to plant-eating bugs.
    And when the rain washes it off...it's good for your soil.
    Cheap & NO chemicals.

15. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

Thats good to know about the beans. i only hope the bees don't destroy the tassels on my corn this year. i don't want to harm the bees, but i don't want the bees to harm my corn either.

i do have a wood stove in my shop, & had wondered this past winter, if i should spread my ashes on my garden. i did put some on it, but i don't know if it was enough to make much difference.

16. machiasmort

Wood ashes are a wicked Ph up, meaning counteracts acid...

Anything that rots gives up acid, Manure ect. Too much ash is bad but I used to counteract the acid rain with it for killer results! It helps to know what the target ph for the plant your growing! Try to screen out the ash from charcoal. The charoal isn't good to put on a freshly growing garden. It contains wood and will create acid hot spots as the wood rots.

Make a rain catchment and use a sumppump and garden house. Mix your ash in the rain barrel and water your garden! I used to put the fertilizer right in with it! Too much ash will temporarily kill bacteria in your soil that make nutrient avaiable to your plants.

17. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

sprinkled....dusted...... deters the bugs.

geez mort...I wasn't suggesting stirring in a ton of ashes to the garden spot. :grin5:

18. machiasmort

Davo

I know what you meant, just wanted to caution people... You'd have to really put alot down before that happened.

I don't think I'm a know it all or anything, but my garden was the way I lived for a few yrs after the auto industry decided to send my job to Mexico. I have problems walking (with my back)... I used to be in the garden all day (hands and knee's) w/ my Grandpop's model 12 by my side. Goosies would come over and I'd pound anti aircraft... Ah - the good life...

Most of the problems people have are because thier plants are not healthy to begin.

Save yourself some work and next fall pull all of the roots out of your garden. Put all garden waste and roots in a pile at least ten feet away from your garden to compost in a pile. Leaves grass clipping ect, NO WOOD!

Plow or till your garden with a generous layer of manure in the fall and cover w/black plastic (the thick stuff)... Over the winter save your fire place ash and plow about 1/2 into the soil in early spring. Recover your garden w/plastic weighted w/rocks and poke holes where you want your plants (NO WEEDING)!!! I use black up here but I suppose down south I'd use white if it were real hot. The idea is not to let the sun hit the ground other than your plant! I had 4 1/2 ft broccoli up here!

Always remember 1 thing I say about fertilizers and plants... You can't force feed a plant to make it healthy... The only thing you can do is provide the optimal environment for it to survive... I'll post more on this latter as it ties in with the wood ash rainwater bath!

19. psmcd

psmcd Member

links

Here's a great article for desert gardeners:

http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/2008/08/23/farming-in-the-city-with-runoff-from-a-street/

These guys seem to be the authority on greywater:

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/misinfo/index.htm

Extremes of composting:

http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html

My only advice is grow what you like to eat or give away, don't grow what is cheap and always available at the store unless you just want to know what you can grow. Squash (not zuccinni - everybody has it) is great for covering large areas you don't want to weed.

20. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

Good Advice

I have one friend who has a very small garden, & uses black plastic. he allways has a huge amount of produce for the small space he has.I also read that red plastic is the best shade to use. I've just never seen any red plastic sheeting. Next time i go to the home center i'm going to check.