Brakes Does anyone use different brakes than come on the bike?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Kestrel Motors Inc., Oct 28, 2011.

1. So, does anyone use different brakes than just what come on your bike? I had to take the pedals out of my bike-:rolleyes7:- and I put a caliper brake on the front end. I didn't know if you guys used disc brakes or just the scrubbers that are on there. Thanks!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Adding drum brake wheels is easy. A front drum wheel fits any fork. However, it is tough to bolt an engine sprocket to the rear drum wheel. Probably best to use a shift/jackshift kit in that case.
    If you are using a friction drive, a rear drum brake is no problemo.
    Seems like the most popular brake upgrade is to simply add only a front disk brake, since the front provides up to 75% of the stopping power. Sometimes you can buy a cheapo mountain bike with a front disk from craigslist for less than buying the parts yourself (disk wheel, disk compatible fork, rotor, caliper, disk cable and lever).

3. retromike3

retromike3 Member

brakes and such

I use V-brake clones and they seem to do the job quite well. I do have to check them before I go out on a ride because I tend to wear down the pads pretty quick, But I have can lock up the rear wheel and stall the engine if I choose to.

On my front brake the fork I installed was set up for a cross bike so I had to cut off the old cantilever braze ons and weld new ones in place. This made my bike more stable because it slackened the head angle a bit. I also replaced the rear dropouts with track bike ones, but I made sure that the rear hub placement was the same so I didn't have to change the rear brake mounts.

So I guess I do own a chopper.

mike

4. seanhan

seanhan Member

I put better v brakes on my point beach, stock ones were junk.
    Tip find some high end used ones for cheap...many bicycle riders upgrade their brakes to super expensive ones , buy their high end brakes for low price, and wow what a difference..
    Sometimes you can find some good used ones at a bike shop the has upgraded some ones bike and kept their old brakes..buy some new pads and wala!!!
    Also i bought new cables from a bike shop , what a difference...

5. retromike3

retromike3 Member

I agree

What I did was to put Tecktro brakes with top end Koolstop pads on my bike and they work grate. I did have some problem with them squealing a bit, until I got them alined correctly. Tecktros are not top of the line but the design is well thought out.(shimano clones)

mike

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I use BB7 203mm discs, front and rear.

7. I automatically replace the V brake pads that came with my bikes with a premium pad like cool Stop or Rav-X. On my most recent 48Volt build the speeds are high enough that I replaced the original v brake arms with longer units to increase the applied leverage when stopping. They have shortened my stopping distances noticeably.

On one bike with a disc brake in the front I replaced the cheap, second rate caliper original to the bike that tended to bind up with the excellent BB-7 unit. It was very pricy, but worth it.

I absolutely must have good brakes on both wheels. A single brake is far to ineffective at stopping a motored bike at the speeds we can reach to even be considered.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. loquin

loquin Active Member

I replaced the standard front hub with a sturmey-archer dynahub/drum brake, and kept the existing V-Brakes. The handle bars are a little ... busy ... though, so I think I'm going to replace the two brake levers on the left with a single pyramid double-lever.

9. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Member

10. H20RIDER

H20RIDER New Member

Just a related question:
    Can a Sturmey Archer X-FD (front drum brake) be used on a rear wheel?

11. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

If I bought a front brake hub would that hub be any bigger than a standard wheel hub? Would I have to buy different length spokes too?

12. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Sure, but why? You wouldn't have a sprocket! The 70MM drum in that hub wouldn't be very powerful as a rear brake, either, I have one and found it woefully lacking as a rear brake.

That totally depends on the hub, there's many many different hubs out there. For the most part, yes, a drum hub is larger than the average standard hub.
    If the difference isn't too great, then you may be able to get that drum hub laced in a 4-cross pattern with original spokes. I had that done with both my wheels.

13. V 35

V 35 Member

As for brakes, Mountain Bike Calipers work well on cruisers, road bike calipers won't work, the brake arms are too short to clear the big, thick, tire of a cruiser or Mt. Bike. Ditto for Rat Trap Bars brake levers, they bottom out on a straight bar. Mt. Bike levers work well on cruisers, and hybrids. My Rat Pedal bike has Mt. Bike Bars, levers, and a cruiser saddle. Rides like a 3 speed, climbs like a 10 speed.