Chains does anyone use the chain guard that comes with the bike

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by andrewflores17, Nov 28, 2006.

1. i have never used it was wondering if it serves any real pupose

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

I never used it either, but I have seen it on some people's bikes.
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ooh, ooh! i do! :)

it fit mine like it was made for it, way too easy... 8)
  4. It made too much rattling noise so I took it off...
  5. istbenz

istbenz Guest

chain gaurd???

surely those would add some measure of safety!

who wants that? i'm out to live on the edge. therefore, NO CHAINGAURDS :!: :twisted:
  6. sherryc8641

sherryc8641 Guest

I use My saftey stuff.

I didn't think twice to put thev chain guard on my bike. I put itb on right away. It is better than nothing, and safty is an important thing to have.
  7. etheric

etheric Guest

didn't even consider it.
  8. nogoodnic42

nogoodnic42 Guest

I have not yet built a bike that the chainguard would fit. I have at least five of these laying around maybe I can build a windmill out of them and an old wheel...Kelly
  9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

no chain guards for me yet either...
    I have a bunch of them lying around too. a windmill ....what a good :idea: MBc's build a windmill
  10. erikvilla

erikvilla Guest

I havent used the chain guards on any of my bikes either
  11. luke

luke Guest

am using one but second bike i put together had the guard just fall appart on the rearly week front i made a cussioner out of a couple of rubber washers.still broke of due to lack of strengh.
  12. D.J.

D.J. Guest

I got about 300 miles out of the original chain guard then the front attachment broke . I repaired it by soldering a steel washer around the attaching point . About 50 miles later the guard broke about 1/4" away from my repair . I made a new one of the same design out of much thicker cold rolled steel and also installed a cushioning piece of rubber at the rear mount . I Have traveled over 600 miles with the new guard with no problems and no more rattles either . .....D.J.

P.S. I have the keys to the metal shop :) .

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

so cool.... I have friends in the metal fab shop where I work. The company doesn't mind if you build things the clock, of course.
    and pay for the metal. you can hang your stuff on the paint line & get it powdercoated too. not a big choice of colors. black-red-green. black works :lol:
  14. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

That new guard looks great. You could use a beadroller and put some stiffening ribs in that new guard. I'd like to make one that looked more like the old balloon tire bike guards.
  15. D.J.

D.J. Guest

Thanks guys . we do have a bead roller at work . This guard is so thick that you don't need the beads . I like the smooth look too . I can't seem to take a good picture of the all black guard . I would like to match the guard on the other side but it is a tough one to copy . It is meant to look like a muscle car side panel . The bike is a mid 60's CCM .....D.J.

16. Les Yee

Les Yee New Member

if I install, how?

I know this is an old post, but I'm new.

Supposing I want to install. Got a new one to put on used engine. So not sure how. Do I use the a longer bolt to go through the cover and attach to the back of the chain cover under the clutch lever? Seems a bit deep and close to the chain for inevitable failure or worse get caught up in the path of the chain!

Any help or link would be great!

17. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Chain gaurd? That's the thing laying in my shed somewhere! I don't actually use one so I can't tell you how to fit it.