Does everyone use happytime engines!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dirtbikemike2435, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dirtbikemike2435

dirtbikemike2435 New Member

I have been looking at a lot of bikes and it seems that all of the chain driven are HT engines...are they that good:confused:

2. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Yes, you've just got to get lined with drive sprocket. It will be a test first few hundred miles. See, they stretch quite a bit. After that, they are very reliable.

Glen:)

3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Not all bikes use HT engines. One of the main reasons for their popularity is that they're cheap. Reliability is a main factor.

I run Japanese weedwhacker-style engines, which are noted for their dependability.

4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

HECK NO ! Some of us like dependability and use Japanese engines. I like the motorcycle look as much as anybody, but I choose dependability over looks. I use Honda.

5. dirtbikemike2435

yea i would like to use a weed wacker but their just so loud and annoying, plus i cant find any outta the trash that work! im trying to spend the least of money...but we'll see how that goes :whistling:

6. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I’m using a Honda GX35 (35cc) 4 stroke. I have also used a Chinese 50cc 2 stroke from a Harbor Freight auger. I’m sure the Honda is a better engine and will out last the Chinese engine hands down, but I like the power of the 50cc engine way more than the Honda. Only about ½ horsepower difference, but that alone makes a big difference in these little, low powered engines. Polk 5-7 for more info about what he uses. He said he uses weed whacker engines, but they’re also Mitsubishis or Tanaka close to 50cc if I‘m correct. My Honda is also used on weed trimmers, but it or the Mitsubishis are not typical Chinese made engines. Check you local state laws and go with the biggest engine they allow. You’ll be glad in the long run. Honda, Mitsubishi, Tanaka and Robin/Subaru all have excellent ratings.

7. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

HT

Rookie question :dunce: whats HT. I got Grubee.

8. dirtbikemike2435

HT is chinese engines...but i would definatly get a honda but im trying to stay cheap here sooo....

9. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

What exactly do you want it for? Something that is fun to tinker with that has a somewhat classic look? Something that is reliable and will get you where you need to go with very little trouble and still have the frame mount look? Something that is very reliable and easy to maintain? Something extremely quiet and not likely to attract any attention?

The answers to each of the questions results in a different setup. (IMO)

The Chinese 2 strokes are fun, but for reliable transportation I would look elsewhere. There is a false economy with them. Pretty soon you will have spent the same as if you got a more reliable kit. (I will still buy them.....for me the tinkering is half of the enjoyment of the bike, and I have company provided transportation so I do not depend on it.)

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

HT means Happy Time.

I run a Happy Time...four-liter fuel tank for my Chinese GP 460 engine and my Tanaka 47R racing engine.

11. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Where the "Happy Time" tag came from: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5048

12. dirtbikemike2435

im looking to go friction drive with bmx bike and im just looking to tinker with, and get to A,B

13. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Friction drive pretty much eliminates the Happy Time option.

14. dirtbikemike2435

well i knew that i was just curiouse cause it seem like everyone uses those things

15. Fletch

Fletch Member

What is your answer to this? It seems that options are limited on this one? I know there are really expensive 2 strokes or the cheap Hashwueng (spelling?) 4's. AFAIK you can't frame mount a Harbor Freight 2.5hp? There's the option of moped engines right? I'm looking for something that required no mounting fabrication. Thanks

16. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

There are many different inframe 4 strokes......Q matic and the grubee products come to mind.....I lean towards the Q Matic, When I purchase one that is what it will be. I know the HS 4 stroke is not as good as the Honda......but I will be looking for a honda, and will settle for a HS if I have to.

17. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Lord no,,,, never use a " Less Than Happy Time !"

18. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Im biased against 2 bangers mostly because of the noise to me is irritating as **** and to the neighbors. Whenever I hear a weed whacker or gas blower going I shut the windows to quiet it down. Then theres the attention factor here in co MABs are a gray area and i dont want to call attention to the bike.

19. greguk

greguk Member

Let's say don't want to be happy anymore that way.

20. greguk

greguk Member

+ those engines are really hot and rip bikes by vibration. Exhausts of happy times can burn your leg and Honda's 35cc is only bit hot/warm. HT are melt themselfs inside.