Safety Does it scare you?

Oh i check all my bolts and nuts regularly, every time i ride it.

I was just shocked at all the carnage these bikes seem to reap on folks. WHo would have though?

Think of it this way: how DULL would the forum be if everyone wrote a post for every time they rode their bike and NOTHING unusual happened?

You don't hear "nothing but horror stories" not because they are the ONLY stories, but because they happen to be the most INTERESTING (and informative) stories.

I put 300 miles on my bike before something eventful happened, and even then, it happened uneventfully (discovered a crack in the frame at the END of a ride).

Lemme see here... I've taken a cheap, Wally World bike made in China that is designed to go 12MPH TOPS and bolted on a jibbering two-stroke that pushes it to 30- prior to this madness, I knew preciouse little about such things. I use it whenever the weather permits. It offers NO protection in a wreck and many drivers simply cannot see the stupid thing. No turn signals, brake signal- all has to be done manually with the hand that controls half the handlebars and the clutch lever. Oh yes- the dome nut capping the clutch lever shaft tends to snag my left pants cuff when I pedal. If this thing does NOT frighten me from time to time, I shouldn't be riding it!
Yea, they are a bit riskey. Follow the good advice you get here, use your common sense and be aware of your circumstances. Keep up on maintanance. Be a little paranoid about other drivers. If these things scare you from time to time, that means you're paying attention.
the Old Sgt.

There is a difference between fearful respect because something might be dangerous and being foolhardy in spite of it.

I can understand being concerned with safety while riding - that is simple enlightened self-interest. Fearful? No, not at all.

I wear a helmet, and a glove, and thick denim trousers, and a kevlar jacket when riding, by choice. Being diabetic and in dialysis, even scratches take weeks to heal. I do understand those who object to nanny-state REQUIRED helmets, and if they don't choose to wear one, that's on them.

What I object to is making it on me, and my fellow tax-payers. In my opinion, if you are riding and have an accident resulting in serious head injury, and were not wearing a helmet, the law should simply say that emergency personnel and facilities are not to treat those injuries sans PROOF of financial responsibility.

Last edited:
i put on about 100 miles a week on my bike on average--use it everyday to and from work through city traffic

i also dont wear a helmet--just not my thing--but i do have lights--flashing day and night and practice being very aware of what is going on around me at all times including what is coming up behind me
i also check out my bike before and after each trip and fix any little thing before it becomes a big thing
along with keeping you ride up to par at all times be aware and be seen are two of the biggest things you can do to stay safe-but that holds true even when you are in a cage as many people out there driving arent paying attention--i have a close call at least once a week due to other drivers but by watching them carefully i manage to avoid any accidents--whether it be the person on the phone while driving or with dark tinted windows who just doesnt notice you at an intersection --or ect ect ect---pay attention not only to the road but also to the drivers in the vehicles and try to get into their heads--it is best to assume they are incompetent

I wear a helmet to avert any scrutiny I might receive if I didn't......and it's not such a bad idea safety wise anyway.

I'm gonna do exactly like Happy Valley, since I've been warned abt talking politics here on the forum.

Slugman's tale of the broken chain has led me to reconsider a coaster-brake-only for the initial test runs. I think that guy Murphy follows me around!

Years back I put over 3k on my harley when I got a 10 day vacation from a factory I worked at. Put a new drive chain on a week before we left.
Some VERY hi-speed, extended runs over desert roads in a number of western states...

When I got back into town, at the end of the ride, I got off the hi-way ramp to take the GF to her house. When I released the clutch to pull away from the stop sign, my chain DROPPED OFF !

I shut down, set the chain back up on the rear sprocket, back up the bike a few feet to get it up on there, re-started and took her home.
Next day I cut four links out of the chain... can't recall how long I ran it after that.

It was some kind of bargain industrial chain one of my friends had bought in bulk.

They say u can't fix stoopid, but sometimes a titewad learns new tricks... I don't run that cheapo chain any longer.

Best
rc

I drove a NYC bus for over 30 years and I thought that would give me enough experience. Generally most people drive ok, not good but ok, which means there not reckless. Since I started riding around on the mb I now have a completely different take on how easily I can get into an accident. I raced motorcycles, and rode my motorcycle daily while living in a border town in Texas. None of that helped me when riding gas bike. I did learn that speeds over 20mph put me at risk with most drivers.

Last edited:
There was a 34 year old guy that lived nearby. He had just bought a new customed Harley. He was taking a ride around 4 in the afternoon, he was only 2 minutes from his house. He was going about 20-25 mph, a 19 year old driving a small Japanese SUV made a left hand turn and hit the motorcycle broadside throwing the guy about 20 feet to the side of the road at the corner. He died within minutes, it was real sad to see this guy sacked like it was nothing. The young driver was saying he hurt his arm, there was no outward display of concern for the now dead man laying there like a dead animal. He just kept rubbing his sore arm. It seemed like he felt no responsiblity for this guy's death. He probably thought this guy was on a motorcycle, he knew the risks. This accident was about a mile from my house, I ride on this wide road with the mb all the time. I read all these stories about other guy's accidents with careless drivers while riding there mb. I hate to think this is so common where I live.

And now you guys know why our LEAST favorite question is:

"HOW FAST WILL MY BIKE GO?"