Does the engine "mechanic shop" smell get to you?

pessen

Local time
11:02 PM
So, a random question. I spent the better part of yesterday trying to put my first 2-stroke engine on my mountain bike. I noticed that the engine has a pretty strong "metalic/oil engine smell". Yesterday evening I was working on my bike and noticed I was starting to get a slight headache, and my stomach felt slightly funny. I decided to call it quits and clean my stuff up but upon standing up and walking around I began to feel even worse. It wasn't long before I lost my dinner :sick:, but afterward I felt pretty normal.

I normally am not affected by smells, and I rarely get to the point of vomiting. Has anyone else ever been affected by the engine's smells while working on them?

Re shop smell

No but then again I do enjoy the smell of fuel.I have always like the smell of diesel fuel
and model plane fuel as well.And the smell of grease too.So I'm odd lol. Or maybe I'm just a little :geek: goofy.

It sure gets to me, it's why I bought a 4-stroke. I can park it in the house with a towel tossed over it and not smell it much at all.

what ratio are you mixing your fuel. I do not smell mine very much unless it is idling in the garage and then its about like a weed eater. Is your engine painted? If so you may be smelling that cheap paint.

Having grown up in farm country always tinkering, a variety of smells are my "normal."

I get a headache when I can't work on my bike, not when I do.

Having grown up in farm country always tinkering, a variety of smells are my "normal."

I get a headache when I can't work on my bike, not when I do.

I myself have to agree with HoughMade.
Since walking age Ive hung out in some form of a garage. A shop/garage smell is like life itself. I also lived 3 months a year on the grandparents farm. (Every summer vacation) "O" how I love the smell of a fresh cow pie. I know, I know, im a little warped.

Lonewolf,

I actually have not yet even started my engine. I am in the process of my first build but it is taking a little longer than I would have liked because I need to get the center hole of my sprocket drilled larger so that it will fit completely over my hub and fit flush with the spokes. I also need to decide what to do for the gas tank. The stock one sent with the engine is rusty on the inside, I don't want to you it without KREEM'ing the inside but that is costly (for a grad student at least :) ). Anyone have ideas for a cheap custom gas tank that wouldn't need to be sealed on the inside?

Anyway, the smell I was referring to was the metallic/oily smell of the motor straight out of the box (it is unpainted). I have worked with cars doing general maintenance and fixes such as oil changes, break, radiator, and alternator replacements and more, but have never gotten ill from the smells like I did after sitting close to my bike motor for too long.

I too shuddered at the thought of the pink spandex shorts.....that is something I never hope to see with my own eyes.... :D

Back