Does the engine "mechanic shop" smell get to you?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pessen, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pessen

pessen New Member

So, a random question. I spent the better part of yesterday trying to put my first 2-stroke engine on my mountain bike. I noticed that the engine has a pretty strong "metalic/oil engine smell". Yesterday evening I was working on my bike and noticed I was starting to get a slight headache, and my stomach felt slightly funny. I decided to call it quits and clean my stuff up but upon standing up and walking around I began to feel even worse. It wasn't long before I lost my dinner :ack2:, but afterward I felt pretty normal.

I normally am not affected by smells, and I rarely get to the point of vomiting. Has anyone else ever been affected by the engine's smells while working on them?

2. KDC1956

KDC1956 Member

Re shop smell

No but then again I do enjoy the smell of fuel.I have always like the smell of diesel fuel
    and model plane fuel as well.And the smell of grease too.So I'm odd lol. Or maybe I'm just a little :goofy: goofy.
  3. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

It sure gets to me, it's why I bought a 4-stroke. I can park it in the house with a towel tossed over it and not smell it much at all.
  4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Yeah, I hate how that smell permeates my pink spandex shorts.
  5. Lonewolf

Lonewolf New Member

what ratio are you mixing your fuel. I do not smell mine very much unless it is idling in the garage and then its about like a weed eater. Is your engine painted? If so you may be smelling that cheap paint.
  6. MurraySabrePlus

MurraySabrePlus New Member

Jesus..... that's priceless!
    And I'll bet you look pretty in them too :jester:
  7. MurraySabrePlus

MurraySabrePlus New Member

And huffing glue? LOL :jester:
  8. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Having grown up in farm country always tinkering, a variety of smells are my "normal."

I get a headache when I can't work on my bike, not when I do.
  9. graucho

graucho Active Member

I myself have to agree with HoughMade.
    Since walking age Ive hung out in some form of a garage. A shop/garage smell is like life itself. I also lived 3 months a year on the grandparents farm. (Every summer vacation) "O" how I love the smell of a fresh cow pie. I know, I know, im a little warped.
  10. pessen

pessen New Member

I actually have not yet even started my engine. I am in the process of my first build but it is taking a little longer than I would have liked because I need to get the center hole of my sprocket drilled larger so that it will fit completely over my hub and fit flush with the spokes. I also need to decide what to do for the gas tank. The stock one sent with the engine is rusty on the inside, I don't want to you it without KREEM'ing the inside but that is costly (for a grad student at least :) ). Anyone have ideas for a cheap custom gas tank that wouldn't need to be sealed on the inside?

Anyway, the smell I was referring to was the metallic/oily smell of the motor straight out of the box (it is unpainted). I have worked with cars doing general maintenance and fixes such as oil changes, break, radiator, and alternator replacements and more, but have never gotten ill from the smells like I did after sitting close to my bike motor for too long.

I too shuddered at the thought of the pink spandex shorts.....that is something I never hope to see with my own eyes.... :D
  11. AlexRSS8

AlexRSS8 Member

Mate,petrol smells good, but don't sniff it for too long....
    I love the smell of 2 stroke
    but people who charge heaps suck, Tell em their dreaming!
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Often, the sprocket center hole can be made larger with a small grinding stone on a dremil or a drill. Much cheaper than a new drillbit or a trip to the Machinist.
    Grind slow clockwise circles.... & wear a face shield.

Now....back on-topic:
    cow pies.... horse biscuits.... goat raisins.... now I'm feeling a little sick. :sweatdrop:

Just kidding....I am the farmboy/greasemonkey type...... but I do understand how certain 'smells' can make ya sick.....for me, one whiff of Southern Comfort, makes me wanna call out: Ralph, Earl & sometimes Buick !!

On a lighter note....maybe the smell of your new engine kit is just some sort of chemical warfare.
    No worries!!

Or... the whole thing could have been caused by some bad fish sticks??

13. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

goats in the house are a no no

maybe it takes getting used to them

many years working in small engine, bicycle shop, around auto's
    have gotten used to the smell

cow pies -- living in the country -- one must learn to appreciate
    very sweet smell

note -- all of these to be kept away from the house
    goats in the house are a no no

ride that thing
  14. sparky

sparky Active Member

I dunno if I *love* the smell of cow pies, but it's certainly not even close to the list of worst smells. Cow pies are usually overpowered by the smell of dirt and fresh grass/weed.

Only mechanics smell I can't stand is gear oil. That's prolly in the top 3 worst smells for me.
  15. Gungatim

Gungatim Member

My favorite smell in the world is 2-stroke exhaust mixed with second hand smoke from a Marlboro Red...

Worst smell is the smell of anything rubber made in China. Don't know why their rubber smells worse than ours, but alot of cheap stuff out of China has various odd smells.
  16. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

new thread maybe - the love of cow pie smell

a little kinky

guess us country boys only understand

grows on one -- with time -- 58 years in this case

wooooo that smell the smell of it's around you

as we ride tode things in the country
  17. graucho

graucho Active Member

My grandpa's barn (yes grandpa's, grandma's domain was the house) had his machine shop/farm equipment in the same building as the livestock. Talk about taking 2 different smells and mix'in them up in a blender. :grin5:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  18. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

My Mums old Singer Sewing machine, pre electric motor types, the smell of that gear oil she had to use was priceless after a few sews.
    It just blended with fabric and cotton.
  19. Lonewolf

Lonewolf New Member

Use a de-burring bit if you have an air grinder if not a course round file works nice on the rear sprocket. Make sure you make it big enough to fit OVER the dust cap or it will never pull up true. also make you some kind of gauge to put on the axle to assure you have the sprocket centered on the wheel. Just some helpful hints.
  20. Revorunner

Revorunner Member