Done, but dealing with problem after problem =D

how many watts does the engine give out at what voltage? I just fried a bulb that I connected just for kicks it was bright bright then BANG blown. I was at idle...

i was only talking about electrical theory. it's clear it works both ways. like i said, i dunno about any pros or cons.

a 6V/3W bulb works perfectly for me, and has for almost 200 miles now.

iRide Customs said:
Not sure how I missed this thread. Fantastic job! Looks AWESOME! I like all the black...black is good!

Dan
Nice job Joe! Yea I like all the black too and mine will look "similar"when it's all done! Someday hope we all can meet at some bike rally here on the pacific coast. Maybe the week before rod run, which falls on september 9th and 10th here in ocean park! :cool:

So I remade the gaskets with permatex (Before This I reused the old ones.) I was inspecting the gaskets before I replaced them and the old exhaust gasket blew a peice. So I took the exhuast off, cleaned both surfaces with a roughish sandpaper to get the crud off, then 600 grit for smoothness, flattened and made the surfaces match, then covered one with a 1/4 inch bead and finger tightened, let it dry for an hour before tightening it further, just like the back of the tube says to do.

I've never made a gasket solely out of permatex, only coated a new gasket with it. Will what I did work for the exhaust without blowing out? Its the high temp RTV gasket maker, the red stuff.

I didn't get to check my sparkplug today, I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if I need to replace it or if something went wrong with it.

Augi, I will try hooking my 6V/3W light to my white wire, with a switch in the line to keep it off while the engine is starting and turn it on when its running.
One question, My like has two terminals, for connecting to a battery, if one wire went into the +, where would the other terminal connect?

simply ground the other wire to the frame.

i dunno about no exhaust gasket & sealer only...it might be fine if you keep a close eye on the tightness until it gets a chance to bake in. i think if it starts to leak, tho, it will always leak. that's just my exhaust mechanic's opinion, let us know how it holds up :)

hey, joe, this has been a fun thread to read thru, & i think you've done a great job on the build. i hope other people want to declare "project topic" status as it was also really easy to moderate 8)

augidog said:
simply ground the other wire to the frame.

i dunno about no exhaust gasket & sealer only...it might be fine if you keep a close eye on the tightness until it gets a chance to bake in. i think if it starts to leak, tho, it will always leak. that's just my exhaust mechanic's opinion, let us know how it holds up :)

hey, joe, this has been a fun thread to read thru, & i think you've done a great job on the build. i hope other people want to declare "project topic" status as it was also really easy to moderate 8)

The engine isn't going to be started for about 36 hours, starting a few hours ago when I installed the gasket.

Well I checked out the new Permatex gasket, as it dried it seems to have shrunk... There were gaps and it was just not useable.

I remade the original gasket the same way I made my last one, out of gasket material, and permatexed the heck out of it, and its pretty much dried by now. Completely sealed and seems to be a good gasket.

I also opened up the spark plug and saw that nothing was wrong with it, it had a tan ish color that I read online means the engine is running well.

When the sparkplug is in, and the exhaust is off, and I roll the wheel, the piston moves freely until it gets past the exhaust port, at which point it doesnt move further becuase i can't move the whele enough to compress the air any further, which hopefully means i dont have any kind of leak from the rings or anything.

It's also really cool to hear that sucking thump sound from when I roll the wheel backwards to take the piston back down.

Maybe whatever happened last time was due to the cold weather at 12AM, or my CDI/mag. I don't have access to any volt or ohm or whatever testers to check out my parts.

Some other people in town, some 16 year old kids, had motorbikes with these same chinese engines and they dropped by my little brothers high school to show off (becuase they are kids). And he told me when he got to my house. They are the kids of the owner of the auto repair place on my street, they are always building go karts and mini bikes, and the last time I had to make a U-turn in their parking lot they saw my bike, I guess that inspired them, which is cool. If only they were more responsible than to get the cops called on them for revving the engines on school property, which means cops might be looking for a way to stop me from riding somehow. I hope not. Especially after I had it so good all this time.

Well, I get to start this bike tomrow, and now that I narrowed the problem a bit further, I'll find out if what happened was a one time occurence or an actual problem with my engine.

It might also be my frankenstein chain, which is already way too old for it's own good.

Well, my motor runs, I'm going to use it to get around today. Hope it doesn't blow up.

Does anyone have any info on springer forks, and any troubles you had with them? I think I need to replace mine.

Back