Don't kill your airconditioner!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by a/c man, Jun 13, 2010.

1. a/c man

a/c man Member

Alright now we're really into summer and the a/c service calls are piling up.
    Everyday I see why most peoples a/c unit have taken a dump, NEGLECT!!
    Here are some friendly tips I have for you so you will be cool and comfy after those nice long hot rides on your MB. Service calls will empty your wallet quickly.
    1. CHANGE YOUR FURNACE FILTER EVERY MONTH.
    Make sure it is the right size and you have it in correctly.
    The indoor cooling coil is usually a P.I.T.A. to clean once your filter changing habits have been neglected even after a short amount of time. Chances are your blower wheel and motor have filthed up too.
    2. CLEAN THE OUTDOOR CONDENSER COIL. A garden hose will do the job. Turn off the outdoor unit at the service disconnect or circuit breaker. Unscrew the top lid with fan and hose the condenser coil from the INSIDE OUT. Don't get water into the electrical compartment bone head.
    Stop blowing lawn clippings into the unit. Be careful with weed wackers around refrigerant lines and low and high voltage wires feeding the unit. Scold your lawn service if they do.
    3. FLUSH YOUR CONDENSATION DRAIN OUT ON THE INDOOR A/C COIL.
    It's the PVC or copper drain going to your sump pump, utility sink or condensate pump near you furnace or air handler on heat pump units.
    When these drains clog , your indoor unit will dump up to 10 gallons of condensation juice all over your floor after it drips all through your furnace.
    If it's in the attic it will ruin your ceiling.
    Give me your specifics and I'll tell you how to do it.
    4. IF YOU'VE NEVER HAD YOUR A/C SYSTEM CHECKED HAVE A PROFESSIONAL
    CHECK YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVEL WITH GAUGES AND APPROPRIATE CHARGING EQUIPMENT.
    Undercharged or overcharged refrigerant levels cost you money by inadequate cooling or possible equipment damage.
    5.CLEAN YOUR RETURN AIR GRILLS IN YOUR HOUSE. I don't care how, use a brush, vacuum cleaner whatever. If they've been painted over a thousand times take them off and replace them. If the system can't breathe in, it sure as heck can't blow out.
    6. MOVE THAT PILE OF **** SITTING IN FRONT OF YOUR AIR VENTS.
    Re-arrange your furniture if you have to to let that air blow out of the vents. Nobody needs a nice cool desk or book case, or laundry basket!!
    7. DON'T TRY TO UPGRADE AND REWIRE YOUR OWN THERMOSTAT UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. ESPECIALLY HEAT PUMPS !!
    Too many people screw this up and wire it wrong ,then burn up the 24 volt transformer $$$$
    8. IF YOU SUSPECT SOMETHING IS WRONG HAVE IT CHECKED, DON'T KEEP RUNNING IT. Don't keep resetting tripped circuit breakers . Don't let a frozen up unit keep running, turn it off, It's low on refrig. or has an air flow problem.
    9. E-MAIL ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, I HAVE OVER 23 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND MY ADVICE GOOD OR BAD IS FREE.
    Keep cool my friends, TIM
    e-mail Boell4grumpa@aol.com

2. Exador

Exador New Member

a couple more

Thanks A/C man. I use spray cleaner on the coils first. It is a special acid from the supply co. and works great. I also replaced all of my venting this winter. It was 25 years old and starting to fall apart. Did it piece by piece from Home Depot and the system works great. The unit is 25 years old but after a capacitor replacement it only draws 11.5 amps at start.

3. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Thank you for your help, a/c man!
    I hope that my condenser fan will last a few years longer now.
    The rest of the system has been well kept, and gets verrrry cold on a hot summer's day.

4. a/c man

a/c man Member

Glad I could be of help.

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Very helpful thread!!!

I have a 5 year old Goldstarâ„¢ 24,000 BTU, window unit.

It doesn't cool like it used to. I'm guessing it needs refrigerant.

Can you tell me, roughly, how much it will cost to have it recharged? I will take it in, to avoid a service call.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  6. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

thanks a/c man.... will do.

7. a/c man

a/c man Member

SRDAVO, I'm not too sure what they would charge you to look at your window unit because we don't repair window units where I work.
    Your unit is a big window unit 24,000 BTU's is a 2 ton unit (12,000 BTU's per ton)
    Big window units like that may be more cost effective to repair, rather than replace particularly if it's just a little bit low on refrigerant.
    One obstacle for homeowner oriented repairs concerning window units is their lack of manifold gauge ports installed on the ac unit. A repair shop will install a saddle type valve attached to the refrigerant lines inside the unit so they can put gauges on to take refr. pressure readings, no big deal.
    Since you are removing it to take it in to a shop that should cut your repair costs. Large units like yours have the units guts slid into the outer box. This would allow you to take out the "guts" and leave the box mounted into your window. Normally taking off the front cover will allow access to a few screws holding the guts into the case.If you installed it yourself you already know what to look for. Occasionally there is a screw outside beneath the outdoor coil that needs to be removed to slide the guts out from the indoors. I don't know your particular unit. They can be a real P.I.T.A to get out sometimes.
    At any rate you are probably gonna need an extra set of hands to wrestle that monster safely out of there.
    It could be low on refrigerant, or you indoor coil (evaporator) may need a good cleaning particularly if filter cleaning has been neglected, or the outdoor coil ( condensing coil) could be dirty and need cleaning. Either of these 3 conditions will drop your cooling ability into the crapper.

I hope it goes well for you, window units were never my favorite toys.
    TIM (a/c man)

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Tim,
    thanks for your reply. I called around today & all our local ac guys are busy...busy...busy! You were right. Tis the season!! haha

Good news is, one guy says if I bring it in, he can probably get to it tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again for this thread, Tim.

Dave