Tires DOT approved tires

Thats good if they are not classed as motor vehicles in your state.
I don't really care about the DOT, or advocate more regulations for bicycles. I don't think many here do. I am interested in heavy duty high speed bicycle/mo bike tires though. Perhaps the motor bicycle kit vendors should offer more MB specific tires.

Thats good if they are not classed as motor vehicles in your state.
I don't really care about the DOT, or advocate more regulations for bicycles. I don't think many here do. I am interested in heavy duty high speed bicycle/mo bike tires though. Perhaps the motor bicycle kit vendors should offer more MB specific tires.

As someone currently attempting to make my own tires,,,,, I have more than a passing interest in your interest.

What tires have been tried that have failed, and under what circumstances did they fail?

A typical cheap bicycle tire can withstand far more weight far longer than typical cheap bicycle spokes or typical cheap bicycle wheel bearings can--and typical downhill MTB riders often hit speeds over 50 MPH using regular MTB tires, and nobody seems to have problems with the tires flying apart.
~

no tires failed yet, only flats

I have only been riding a mb for a few weeks, using WTB 2.1 knobbie rear tire and 1.5 Kenda rain slick on front. This is good so far. I plan to use Geaux 1.75 kevlar guard slicks (similar pattern to tioga city slicker)

I have never had a tire rupture, but I have had many knobbies that chunked off knobs from the tread or cracked around the bases of the knobs.
I have had many pedal bike flats over the years, some more prone to them than others (esp file thread mtb tires and light weight road 700c tires).
I got a flat at about 25-30mph on a Continental $$$ road racing tire once (700x25c) and it did not rotate on the rim (front tire) or roll off, or get cut through by the rim. The rim had a little ding from a rock but was staight. I was impressed because I was scared the tire would come off.

For the 26" mb I plan to use cheap, heavy tires esp those with kevlar belts.
I build my own wheels sometimes as a hobby or for friends, or buy 36h heavy spoke wheels for my 26" mountain bike.

Last edited:
I think appealing features for a motor bicycle tire would be:
1. no tire squirm at high speeds (the knobbie tire on the rear is great for country roads and a few muddy spots I have to go through to avoid the freeway/interstate, but tends to "drift" at 30mph. I am running it the proper direction. )
2. kevlar tread belt/flat protection
3. strong sidewalls that do not allow a lot of tire "growth" at high RPMs and do not flex easily so the tire is less likely to pinch at high speeds (30-50) over potholes or bumps, and does not "roll" on the rim in hard corners
4. recessed tread pattern and pretty hard rubber for long term durability on pavement
(see Maxxis checker tread tires or Nashbar Elevators mtn tires-these roll very nicely on pavement and do quite well off road on dirt)
5. Center channels for water clearance (no poop stripe from rain water coming up on the butt and lower back) that continue all the way around the tire (like the Tioga 1.75/1.95 slicks)
for low rolling resistance on straightaways.

I think a fair price would be $20-30 per tire esp if they were the cofee-sidewall good quality tires like Continental and had the folding bead (great for carrying a spare on long trips)

Last edited:
I think appealing features for a motor bicycle tire would be:
1. no tire squirm at high speeds (the knobbie tire on the rear is great for country roads and a few muddy spots I have to go through to avoid the freeway/interstate, but tends to "drift" at 30mph. I am running it the proper direction. )
All knobby tires squirm on pavement, sorry. It's just the way the physics of our universe work.
If you ask on motocross forums, many others will tell you that off-road motorcycles that can easily go 75+ MPH off-road are downright frightening at more than 45 MPH on pavement, just due to tire squirm.

2. kevlar tread belt/flat protection
Puncture protection isn't a bad idea, but Spectra is supposed to be better than Kevlar. Kevlar is pretty cheap these days, but it has always had the problem of losing its strength with repeated flexing.

Kevlar can still be used for tire beads because those aren't flexed much--but there's not much reason for that now either.

3. strong sidewalls that do not allow a lot of tire "growth" at high RPMs and do not flex easily so the tire is less likely to pinch at high speeds (30-50) over potholes or bumps, and does not "roll" on the rim in hard corners
This sounds like a couple different issues-\
"tire growth at high speeds"? I've never heard of this. It would certainly be easily possible to make a bicycle tire with a stronger casing, but I don't know what problems would be solved by doing that.

"do not flex easily"? Sounds like an inflation pressure issue, or the need for frame suspension.
"does not 'roll' on the rim in hard corners"? It sounds like you need more air pressure, or wider rims.

Wider rims are a considerable expense, but are usually worth it.
Many MTB's come with rims as narrow as road bike rims these days--even some rather expensive, $2000+ MTBs--and people think that's correct, because "it came that way", and it's not. The ONLY advantage the narrower rims have is that they weigh less. In every other aspect (strength, handling, durability) they are worse.

With WIDE rims you can run lower tire pressures, get better bump absorption and still get improved handling. And they're not that expensive, either: Sun makes some cheaper downhill rims that are pretty wide, much stronger than normal rims and that still allow using rim brakes if that's an issue.​

4. recessed tread pattern and pretty hard rubber for long term durability on pavement
(see Maxxis checker tread tires or Nashbar Elevators mtn tires-these roll very nicely on pavement and do quite well off road on dirt)
Slicks do best for pavement, knobbies do best in the mud.
If you try to combine the two you mostly just get a tire that isn't really good for either.

5. Center channels for water clearance (no poop stripe from rain water coming up on the butt and lower back) that continue all the way around the tire (like the Tioga 1.75/1.95 slicks) for low rolling resistance on straightaways.
I'd not heard that the tread made much difference in how much water a tire throws up. A fender works wonders though. ;)

I had planned on doing the "ribbed" tire tread anyway (that is five ribs all the way across the tire's width) as it's an authentic period tread.

I think a fair price would be $20-30 per tire esp if they were the cofee-sidewall good quality tires like Continental and had the folding bead (great for carrying a spare on long trips)
If you could get Cheng Shin to make them, that might be realistic.
I am a long way from setting prices, but I didn't expect that I would be competing in the bargain-end of the market.

Regarding folding tires: Wal-Mart now sells their $15 tires folded up into fairly small boxes. These tires don't use Kevlar beads, but use several wraps of smaller multi-strand cable, rather than one wrap of single-strand wire. It may be that these cannot be folded up as tightly as Kevlar beads, but they can still be packed pretty small.
~

Thanks for the reply. If you start a US company to make period style tires (think Coker tires for hot rod cars), you can probably name your price.

I think I will stick with what I am doing now: Using leftover and "bargain" tires to see what works best (I expect the checker tread or short knob ladder tread tires to suit me best on the rear, and the widest city slicker type on the front to be best.)

The walmart tire described is about $12-15, and looks ok but kind of narrow with a short casing.

"
This sounds like a couple different issues-\
"tire growth at high speeds"? I've never heard of this. It would certainly be easily possible to make a bicycle tire with a stronger casing, but I don't know what problems would be solved by doing that.
"

A tire with soft sidewalls will "grow" kind of like a drag race tire, coming up centrifugally in the center of the tread, and making a wider tread seem narrower where it contacts. This also can result in "4x4 buzz".

Last edited:
re: Cheng Shen

I agree strongly about the wider rims improving the ride of almost any tires. (1.5 won't work on DH rims though unless you want skateboard wheels)

I got a wide Alex/wienmann DH rim from Niagara on a built coaster wheel, and it did strongly improve the bike and make the tire seem wider.

These look pretty good!

http://www.motoredbikes.com/picture.php?albumid=795&pictureid=5090
Maxxis type linked knob tires on MB

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=131_166&osCsid=f3c0b5da5a8bf21bfee8c63902537272
Cheng Shen 26 x . tires $11-25

Last edited:
Last edited:
Buyer Beware, "Kevlar" might not mean tread protection

I got a tiny pinhole flat today, from a small wire about the size of a paperclip, in my rear tire, right in the center tread. (1.75x26 Geaux Roadster "Kevlar 3D Compound") .

Buyer Beware, "Kevlar" tires might not really have any Kevlar in the tread, or may not contain a protective layer like you expect from the name.

I like these tires for traction and handling, but would not recommend them now after this experience.

re: "All knobbies tires squirm"

Not true, or at least its not noticeable, on some tires, like the Maxxis brand checker pattern dirt jumping/bmx tires, and the Nashbar Elevator MTB tires. These Elevaor tires are very fast and smooth rolling with very little noise, and they are very stable as high performance MTB tires on a pedal bike. I may try them on the motor bicycle, with some MR. Tuffy tire strips.

Back