double leg kick stands

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by hheltzer, May 3, 2010.

1. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

is a double leg kick stand better or nessary for a motoized bike? will it help? what are the advantages? disadvantages?

2. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

they are nice... especialy if you have a rack mount. The xtra weight offest over one side can make them a little more prone to falling over.

I would say it depends on the bike kit though... my staton powered 92 specialized hardrock is just fine with a regular kickstand. My gebe townie loves to fall over and would benefit from a dual kickstand.

3. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

A dual-kickstand, (centre-stand), is a necessity in my opinion.
    I pedal-start my bike on the centre-stand, (two 'kicks'), warm it up, then ride off with one turn of the pedals as I engage the clutch.
    Also, it's great for doing gear and brake adjustments etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

So right Steve... I've broken two mirrors before I found one and installed it. I won't have a bike without one, frame mount or rack mount.

5. AussieSteve

My electric bike is a good comparison for me - it only has a side-stand.
    It blows over regularly in strong wind and is a PITA to work on.

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

It is a must for twin engines or front engine drive. Front motor ALWAYStells the handlebar where to go when parked. The stand and tying the handlebar grips to the top tube is best.

7. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Make sure you get a good one and locktight them in. bought a Sun double... fell off first week ,one leg bent over couple weeks later..

8. AussieSteve

Mine's an aluminium stand, no sign of bending but the Loctite is a must.

9. give me vtec

bought one last night... I think you guys are right.

10. AussieSteve

give_me_vtec - you'll be surprised how useful it is and just wait until you need to remove a wheel. Just hang a bit of weight on the opposite end to stabilise things...
    (Not good to turn these upside-down or on their side like a normal bicycle.)

11. give me vtec

yeah I am looking forwards to it. the townie has fallen over more than a couple of times. I say profane things in my head every time.... almost irritates me as much as a busted knuckle or a smashed thumb.

12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Double kick stands are necessary in my opinion...........but in the 20 to 25$ range becareful theres 2 out there and one is a piece of ****. The one from niagra works the one from wally world sucks and will break on you.

13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:iagree: with AussieSteve

A dual-kickstand, (centre-stand), is a necessity in my opinion, and it didn't take me long to figure out that it was a vital requirement, [emphasis mine]

Fabian