dr_clabo's schwinn

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by dr_clabo, May 10, 2007.

1. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

now that looks nice!! Still has fenders & a chain guard. :)

the engine tucked in there just right! did you do anything special to the rear mount?

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I recognize the kit by your throttle :shock:
    agreed on quality of components :x :x
    but , your bike looks sweet !!! 8) 8) 8)

4. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

Thanks for the compliments.... I'll see if I can find a pic.... BRB.

I got going so fast (behind from modifications, actually) I stopped taking before & after pics.

I wish I had for the modifications - LABOR intensive, this one.

5. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

I used zink plated spacers for the front & rear mounts:

Oh, and 6M x 80mm screws cut to make studs in front...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

nice & clean mounting extensions!

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

beautiful work...it looks tight, doc 8)

8. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

how is the vibration?

And looks most excellent!

9. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

It looks very nice.

I have a consern about the lateral load that the motor makes under acceleration (torque)(just my opinion) from the photos I dont think that will hold over time. The rear mount looks good, its the frount that I'm conserned about but thats just me
    I would get 1 more of the outer chanel clamps and replace the small flat bar, that would keep the flex under load to a minimum

10. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

I would get 1 more of the outer chanel clamps and replace the small flat bar, that would keep the flex under load to a minimum

I agree - Why these kits do not have is known - cheap Chinese manufacturing.

Why they are not available when ordering or even suggested or ordered from china by the retailers is unknown. Should be minimally suggested as a option - IMHO.

If I had one more of the removable "U" shaped BLOCKS, like on the rear, it certainly would have saved some grief.

Make 'em and sell on fleebay is my suggestion - sincerely. Kits, studs, blocks, all that stuff.

I took over this project and just worked within a time frame more than a budget - Basically, what was in the kit or available within a 5 minute drive from the house. I had to get it rolling quickly (and soundly).

how is the vibration?

No problem - A close look will reveal that I used a inner tube on both mounts. From a new inner tube, BTW - :smile:
    ($2.39)
    My only observation, and it applies to both of my builds, is that at "low end" or an idle type speed, that the machine chugs a bit. It seem to smooth upon acceleration or at least by about 12-15 mph.......

On the black bike shown, I used the larger 50T sprocket because of the nature and application of the unit. It will be used a "cruiser" and seems to go 8 or 9mph at the lowest confortable speed. The other build has 44T and is noticably faster at such. I could write volumes about the flywheel and bottom end torque, but it would not apply to the "do-it-yourselfer".

One last note: I find this latest mount shown to be more stable than the "hole through the frame" with the cheesy 10mm Chinese bolt provided as an anchor - IMHO.

Enjoy,
    ~DC~

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you really had to do all that without knowing that spare/extra saddles and mount-blocks are available?

shoot, go see dax's parts page...he offers all that stuff.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

That bike is SHWEEEET!

No, about the low end "chugging". These engines are running the equivilent of 3rd or 4th gear on a small motorcycle, so yeah, they'll "chug" at low speeds.

13. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

you really had to do all that without knowing that spare/extra saddles and mount-blocks are available?
    shoot, go see dax's parts page...he offers all that stuff.

Stellar suggestion that is/was known.
    However, can a call to Duane right now on Saturday produce a part on my front doorstep tomorrow, on Sunday? Actually, this afternoon would be best - :razz:

I am not certain that my post was read in it's entirety or context:
    "I took over this project and just worked within a time frame more than a budget"
    "Why they are not available when ordering or even suggested"
    "Should be minimally suggested as a option [when ordering] - IMHO.

I am offering but slight advise for future hobbyist & installers with the hope of benifit.

Thanks,
    ~DC~
    :smile:

14. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

That bike is SHWEEEET!
    No, about the low end "chugging". These engines are running the equivilent of 3rd or 4th gear on a small motorcycle, so yeah, they'll "chug" at low speeds.

Thanks bikerguy for the compliment. I appreciate such.

Now, you and I need to make a constant mesh 2-speed tranny. No neutral required, as the clutch handle lock acts as a neutral.

This could act as a "High-Lo" tranny or a hill climb mode or perhaps a second option for the "speedsters".....

Enjoy,
    ~DC~

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, sure i read your post, doc, i read them all :)

i read this part, too...

hence my reply.

16. Barret

Barret Guest

Did you just get those zinc-plated spacers at the local hardware store? I'm just asking because I've never seen them at the shops around me, and I could use some for my re-mount scheduled this summer.

17. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

18. Barret

Barret Guest

Come again? :?

19. dr_clabo

dr_clabo Guest

Yes, I bought them at a local harware store.

"Time" was in response to the previous post.

You can try automotive too. I think that they are used for accessories (alt, air pump, ect.) attached to the fan belt, perhaps....

Hope this will help,
    ~DC~

20. Barret

Barret Guest

DC - yes, that helps! Sorry I didn't catch your "Time" response to the previous post....but all is good now. Thank you!! :)