Drawbacks of 24" rims?

possenti

Local time
2:55 AM
I'm currently preparing for my second build, and I'm considering going with a bike with 24" wheels/tires. Although I'm new here, it seems that 26-inchers are the most common size, and that's what I went with on my first project - a beach cruiser with the standard HT set-up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the downsides I see of 24" are lower speeds at the same rpm's with a 26" bike and less weight capacity. I'm 5'11" and 175lbs. I'm sure that won't be a problem, but still...

Would this size bike be a good candidate for a smaller rear sprocket to compensate for the smaller diameter wheel? Any other tips, pros or cons would be appreciated.

I'm leaning toward the 24" size because I'd like for my wife or daughter to ride with me and they are both about 5' tall - but of course, "Dad" might want to hop on the new bike from time to time...

I've built 3 MB's with 24" rear wheels. Yes they are a bit slower, but that was never a problem for me. IMO, the low-end torque was worth the speed loss.
As for overall strength & load capacity.... the 24" rim will do just fine. (may even be stronger?)

The other alternative, to keep the wife's speed similar to yours, would be a smaller framed bike, but still having the 26" wheels.

That lowers the seat post and handlebar positions.

Also, on the seat post, if a regular bike is just a wee bit too much, that topmost part, that spot where the quickrelease is situated, can be shaved down by about an inch.

I think the Treks go as small as 15", iirc.

With a friction drive setup, wouldn't the 24" setup have the advantages of lighter weight and a slightly smaller frame WITHOUT the gearing issue?

I realize that the original post referenced the traditional HT setup, but I'm just curious. Sorry for the thread drift...

i'm working on a build with 24" wheels. i've never done a 26"er, but i'm very happy with the 24" wheels.

my bikes little. its easy to throw around, and cause its so small, it probably makes ya feel like you going alot faster than you really are.
imo, if your not racing a 26" bike, you'll never know the differance.

heres my first ride.
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/?action=view&current=MaidenVoyage001.flv

btw you throw 3" tires on 24" rims, and ya almost got 26"ers.

I have done 2 with 24" rear ,on 26" frame. The front was left at 26".
Went to a 36t sprocket and works good for me. Pulls hills ok.Would like a bit more top end at times. Just get to enjoy the secenery more from point a to b .

On a properly adjusted friction setup, on a dry tire, what governs the bikes speed across the ground is the size of the drive roller for a given engine rpm. Tire/rim size don't factor into the question at all, as the roller is, in effect, a wide, small diameter tire running on the "road" surface of the tire, causing it to travel across the actual road. You'll get the same number of inches of travel out of that roller whether it is on a 12 inch or a 26 inch tire.

Back