Drier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by davidsis, May 4, 2008.

1. davidsis

davidsis Guest

My clothes drier just stoped working right inbetween a load of laundry. How do I check to see if I have power to the outlet. I have a multi tester. It is one of those big old plugs.

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

First thing you'd better determine is if that circuit is 110 volt or 220. I would've assumed 110, but what you said about a "big old plug" makes me wonder.

If it's 110 you dont even need to use the multitester; just plug in a lamp or a drill or something like that. Or you could check your fuse box. If one of them is blown (or "thrown" if circuit breaker), that would be your suspect circuit.

you might also check the little switch in the dryer door that shuts off the drier when the door is open. These are often little plastic switches that break after a few years. bypassing it is not too difficult (certainly not for anyone who can build a motor assisted bicycle). If it comes to that, i can offer advice.

3. kerf

kerf Guest

First wet your two index fingers, just kidding. Your plug may be a 3 or 4 prong connector, the two center or one round slot(s) are ground the two outside blade slots are hot. Between the two hot slots s/b 240v, hot to ground s/b 120v.

4. davidsis

davidsis Guest

It is 220 because it giant. One of the prongs is shaped like a L the other is straigt, and finaly one is round I guess or something like that. Can I stick a multi tester in there and see if I have volts to it , without haveing to be rushed to the emergency room with sever electrical shock issues, already checked the fuse box. I will give that little door switch a try first bypass it and see what's what. Untill my buddies tell me what I should do next.

5. kerf

kerf Guest

The straight and the L shaped are hot, the round is the ground. Make sure your tester is set for more than 240 volts AC and insert one probe into each of the hot contacts. You should be reading 220 to 240 volts. Now insert your probes into the hot contacts, one at a time, and the other to the ground. You should be reading 110 to 120 volts. Make sure your probe leads have no bare spots in the insulation or you'll light yourself up like a Roman Candle!

6. davidsis

davidsis Guest

I finaly figured it out. I just flipped the curcuit breaker back and fourth untill it started working. I have old crusty curcuit breakers, and do not know which one it was, but it works now. Thanks everybody. Large that was a good site by the way, I am going to it next time I have a problem thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

:lol: This is about as off-topic as it gets! :lol:

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

A nutcase, and a wild man. But definitely no dummy. LFL, you rule.:grin: