Drive Chain Sprocket Won't Move?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by acecreeper, May 9, 2007.

1. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

hello, im very new to small engines and have no idea why my new bike will not budge? when the drive chain is hooked up the bike cannot move, what stupid lil thing am i missing? how do i get it to ride as a normal bike and in neutral? thank you!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

No neutral, just the clutch. Pull it in and poke the button on the lever to ride as a "regular" bike.

Hope that helped!
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

4. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

this is a pre start situation, its all assembled and everything, but the drive sprocket wont move, the drive chain will not move freely, the bike cannot move forward nor backword with the drive chain assembled. ??thank you!
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

does it turn with the spark-plug out? if not, then i re-refer you to the above link about sprocket/chain jam. let us know how it goes.
  6. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

i have read your links and i dont think thats the problem. but what do you mean, should i take the spark plug out and try it? how would this affect the drive sprocket movement? thanks i'll try.
    p.s im at a public comp so i cant try till later and write u back tomorrow
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

what we're trying to do is get back to step one, let's start here:

how did you install the chain? you have to be able to rotate the drive-sprocket in order to do that. most people remove the plug so there's no engine compression to fight against.
  8. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

I did just as u said but did not take the plug out, so yea there was compression. u do mean the plug that sits atop the engine right?
  9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

spark plug, yes. take it out for chain-install.

so the chain installed properly...the sprocket rotated ok by turning whole engine? test-spin the wheel back and forth to check out how the chain travels on the sprockets. the engine should be rotating during this test.

*make certain the clutch push-rod is still in place* this would be a 1/4" rod sticking out of center of sprocket, about 1/4"...

is chain running ok & push-rod in place?

next concern is getting the cover & clutch-arm back on correctly.
  10. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

please tell us how much force you use when you apply the clutch when starting?
  11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it seems we haven't gotten it started yet...i think we're going to find a flaw in the installation.

i haven't heard back for a bit now...

ace', how ya making out?
  12. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

well, you cannot freely spin the back tire at all, the push rod is in place, from what i've heard, i belive the problem MAY be, i have somehow jammed the ball bearing\\?> how would i go about fixing this problem..grrrr
  13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest have to rotate the drive sprocket & feed the chain through to install it...are you saying the chain is properly installed?
  14. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

yes the chan sprocket was rotated to feed the chain around. i just cant get the engine to disengage from the rear wheel. I took the drive sprocket off with the black puller supplied with the kit, the ball bearing seems to rotate but i dont know, maybe its stuck? is the push pin/rod supposed to move in and out? cause it just rotates, thinks for any help here its so frustrating to be this close and not be able to run this bike.
  15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

16. acecreeper

acecreeper Guest

yes i did but the problem existed prior to removing the sprocket anyways. thanks tho...
  17. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: ..

Did the brass cable end slip on the cable by chance so when you pull in the clutch, it just doesn't disengage? It only has to slip a tiny bit.
  18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

oh man! i thought maybe this was an adjustment problem, but i couldn't get a straight answer about the sprocket turning. ace', it's near impossible to disengage the clutch by hand by pushing the rod. have you assembled the lever/cable/arm correctly? have you double-checked?

joe...this is the one where i tried to write about adjusting the clutch, is this what you wanted or were you talking about the pressure plate?
  19. I had the same problem with my first motor install recently.

While I was installing the motor over a few weekends I had to either pick up the back wheel or remove the sparky to move the bike.

I had setup the clutch cable etc. correctly because just before I went for it's first test drive the clutch 'poped' and came good.

It just fixed itself and went from the clutch not releasing to releasing fine.

I have no idea what happend but it has been working fine.

I have yet to remove the clutch/gear cover plate to grease it a little but will be looking for a possible reason then.
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

That's it. Thanks.