Chain Tensioner Drive Chain Tensioner Safe, Effective, Good Looking, cheap to make

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by V 35, Aug 4, 2012.

1. V 35

V 35 Member

I came up with a simple, but effective method for building drive chain tensioners. Start by stripping a stock ' death pop ' and cut away the slotted metal,
    which is than brazed to rear wheelstay, a chain tensioner passes through an eyebolt, which tightens roller.

The photo shows a prototype, the stock tensioner was bent to buck against side of bracket. When brazing, only
    braze one corner, assemble engine and wheel, so you can get a handle on chain path. Use a hammer to tap bracket, and align it parallel to chainpath. Once that's cool, dissassemble, and resume brazing.

Attached Files:

2. jrowse

jrowse New Member

That's nice! i like that much better than what i have

3. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

brilliant!
    may do something like this myself.
    thanks for posting.

4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

That's pretty impressive....

I've seen some nice tensioner ideas here. But this one looks like it's a match for the best, but with more elegance.

(If that's the right word. Simplicity and looks like it was made right along with the bike.)

5. james65

james65 Member

I second Bluegoatwoods assesment of the tensioner. Straight forward and functional.

6. cosworth

cosworth Member

Where did you get the parts from?

7. That's pretty but on my "China Girl" I heaved the idler and stuck a half-link in the peddle chain and removed the necessary drive chain links. Just right.