drive for a whle then engine dies as f its running out of fuel

Jake_the_potato

Local time
6:04 PM
So i can start my bike it rides along all normal then it sputters and dies after about 3 blocks, the gas is on the fuel system is clean and the carburetor is clean, i did a pressure test to see of any of my gaskets were blown inside the crankcase and they all help pressure with no leaks. i ordered a new 66cc grubee sky hawk engine because this current one keeps having problems. i just want to know what i should try fixing so i can re-sell the engine. it has 600 kilometers on it. it also has a new NGK BPR6HS because the stock plug is does not have a hot enough spark for the sea level where i live.

Guessing it's a china girl-
If it starts back up after a little cool down time, there is a chance it could be the CDI going out.
Heat can cause electronic components to fail til they cool down. Most intermittent trouble is electronic. For $10 you could try a different one. If it's still broke, you have a spare CDI.

Ok. There's another thing I thought of, you could have a fuel blockage that doesn't stop but slows down the gas delivery. Pull the gas line, open the valve and see if you have a steady stream coming down.
It's a small stream.

The gas cap is supposed to be vented, maybe it isn't working.
Causes the same trouble.

first take off gas cap & see if it runs well then - you may need to redo the vent hole

I just put my other fuel petcock in because the one i had was just giving a drip or fuel. now it flows strong and it no longer dies. but i still have a problem with i need to run with the choke fully on (very little air) for the bike to ride when i put it to normal i can only idle and not accelerate. i checked the pressure in the crankcase as i already said and there is no air getting in there and i put a rubber o ring on the carburetor and checked for air leaks there and where the manifold joins the cylinder but still have this choke problem. and also this problem causes me to rev faster and it has been going on for a week. never was a problem before.

also, NT doesn't use an o-ring

try again without it & squirt water at manifold to check for leaks

I second what Crassius said about the gas cap.
Another probability is your float adjustment.
If your float is set to just be able to pick up fuel then that can do this.
Try moving the float down just a touch but not so much that gas starts pooling out.

Back