Drive Sprocket removal without the tool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

herbiedriver

Local time
8:43 PM
I finally mounted my engine to the frame get it aligned with the rear sprocket and proper tension. Take the bike out with the clutch disengaged to see if the pedals clear and the chains are good. Slow rolls are good, but the faster I pedaled the more chain/grinding noise I got.
Take the clutch cover off and the chain is grinding a bit on the cover, no big deal, I can grind that out. But the chain is also grinding on the engine case behind the drive sprocket. Seeing as how I have no tool to remove the sprocket I was thinking of using a 2 or 3 prong pulley puller to get it off and shim it out a bit.

Has anyone had any luck using anything other than the specialty tool to get the sprocket off? If I can't get it off, could I try to grind a bit of the case away (not optimal)?

Any hints would be good.
Thanks!

first, take off the clutch cover & see if the large gear is out way more than the small gear, if so, you can tap that whole shaft thru a bit to put the drive sprocket away from the case - work very carefully

I didn't think of that... I didn't think there would be any shaft play. By big gear you are talking about the clutch assembly right? And the small gear being the crankshaft gear?
Thanks!

yep, nice rapid tapping with a light hammer will do better than a big bash

From personal experience I've found if you intend to stay with this for a long time invest into getting the proper tools. It'll save you a lot of heart aches.

From personal experience I've found if you intend to stay with this for a long time invest into getting the proper tools. It'll save you a lot of heart aches.

I will agree with you 100%! But this is a one off, and if it works, then I will get the proper tools for working on these 2 cycle things. As it is I have way too many tools in the garage right now, seems I spend more time searching for them than working.

I did get the sprocket off using a 2-prong pulley puller, there was just enough room to fit it between the case and the gear and it popped right off!

So thank you to all for your advice, and now on to a bit of grinding and fitting... Hopefully I will have something to show soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back