Drive Sprocket Won't Turn: HELP!!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by travboat, May 2, 2012.

1. travboat

travboat New Member

I have a Grubee 4G T-belt drive with a 80/10T setup. The 10T is solid and the drive has the notorious one way bearing; maybe that's the problem.

I took my bike for its first ride yesterday and everything went great. I got home, let the engine cool off and made some lunch. When I went to fire it up later, I ran into a problem.

When I hit the throttle, the belt turns, but the drive sprocket just sits there and won't power the chain. Is it the one way bearing? I've searched for a whole day and haven't been able to find any clear or concise answer. If it is the one way, I'll just weld it and get a HD Wheel kit.

2. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

scroll to THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE u will see threads (stickys) with the same question as yours. maybe one of those has your answer.

3. travboat

travboat New Member

Thank you! I never noticed those threads before... time to read some more.

4. travboat

travboat New Member

Eh... not a lot of new info in any of those threads; none of them appeared to be stickies either. maybe it randomly generates 5 similar threads that relate in one way or another to this one.

The one thing I did notice though was that perhaps the sprocket lost a key and now the shaft between the 80T pulley & the 10T sprocket is spinning so fast that the sprocket won't engage the chain.

I would still appreciate a more definitive answer if anyone out there is knowledgeable about this transmission.

5. travboat

travboat New Member

Hopefully someone else will see this that is having the same problem, but I realized that the one-way bearing in the 80T pulley was installed backwards. I took it out and "pressed" it back in (didn't have a press, used a block of wood and a hammer, but in retrospect, a c-clamp would have worked better).

6. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

looks like your the only guy but message AL.FISHER trust me he can help you

7. travboat

travboat New Member

Thanks for the tip! I learned a lot about this junky little bearing by just taking it out. It was trashed, so my cousin said he would weld it for me on Monday. When I took the thing out, all the sprags just fell out.

I'm gonna order a HD wheel kit today so I can have a free wheel.