Dual pull brake bias

Bob Mac

Local time
5:08 AM
I was just out messing with my bike and was looking at the dual pull brake lever and noticed that it matters which brake cable goes where. It makes a difference in the bias of the brakes. I have disk brakes front and rear. It depends on which brake you want to do the most work ( the front or the rear). If you want the rear brake to do the most you would put the cable on the lever furthest away from the handlebar then the front on the one nearest the handlebar. Take my word for it, the difference is significant. Naturally if you want the front brake to do most of the work do just the opposite. It's all about the folcrum point and leverage. Try it both ways and you'll see what i'm talking about. Hope this helps someone. Bob Mac(y)

Very interesting post.

I've never been a fan of the dual pull brake lever.

Changes in road conditions; gravel, wet, etc. make it too easy to wash out a front wheel.
I want to control which wheel I brake.

I understand about the fulcrom point, but why will it make a difference if you have the tension on each individual cable adjusted to your liking ?

Mite I suggest you loosen the brake lever clamp. Turn the lever over so you can see the inards and take a look for yourself. It should be self explanitory.

Back