Brakes Dual pull brake lever . . . so much easier

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by s_beaudry, Oct 5, 2008.

1. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Installed the dual pull brake lever I bought off of Ebay for $8.95 and shipping, Got it in the mail yesterday and it looks to be very good quality!

Installed it on the right side and took 2 or 3 times of tweaking the cables to get it right....but I love it! Makes it so much easier while riding now and only having the clutch on my left hand.

Anyone else change over like this?

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

question if you would please

do I have this right -- front and rear brake together using one lever ???

the reason I am asking -- there are times when I want no front brake what so ever

ride that thing Mountainman
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

There's a thread on here somewhere where someone made a dual pull lever out of a single. But on the other hand 10 bucks, more or less, is a small price to pay for one that's ready to go.

s beaudry, have you ever tried having both brake levers on the right hand? I think I got that idea from Large Filipino. That's the setup I use. Is a single pull better?
  4. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Mr. Mountain,

Yes, both lines run in just the same exact way and both get pulled as one at the same time.... I set mine up that the front brake grabs a little later then the rear brake does for safety reasons!
  5. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Yes, I was thinking of doing that and tried it in a dry setup, but it was just too much in one small space! I liked the look of the dual pull and it makes for a cleaner install.

Took it for a short ride today and seems to be working well for me.

I think I remember the thread by Large, I wanted a little less crowded look for the handlebars...
  6. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Here is the do it yourself version.

Attached Files:

7. The dual pull is great!!
    I don't know how many times I pulled the wrong lever by mistake disengaging the clutch instead of pushing the brake.

Highly recommend it.
    Bike riding becomes so more less stressful.

Agreed, it took a little tweaking to get it right, but works great when adjusting it with the back brake pulling first.

Spooky tooth sells them. I am purchasing one for a customer's bike.

Here's a pic of mine.

Great value for the money!

Attached Files:

8. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Coincidence... we both have th dual pull lever and we both have the gas tanks mounted in a bag on the rear rack of our respective bicycles!

Small world huh.....
  9. Cool!

Let's see a pic of yours!!

Cruisin Carrot.

Troy Fitz.
  10. OSCAR383

OSCAR383 New Member

the one i got from ebay has a teeter totter like mechanism inside it where the cable ends are inserted so it tensions both cables at the same rate . i do have my rear brake bads set closer to the rim but when you pull the cable the rear brakes touch the rim and dont really apply breaking force until hte front brake hits as well
  11. BigFella

BigFella Member

i just got mine today
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

please keep us all informed regarding -- how these doubles hold up

I am not wanting to be a na sayer here - but

after taking a close look at said unit

wondering how strong they are -- twice the pressure at times being applied ??

if by chance one should break -- then we have no brakes

ride that thing
  13. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

mine works great, I have a break light hooked on. the back grabs first then the front so if I lock up it should be the back not front.
  14. Stink Bike

Stink Bike Member

We sell the same ones as SBP and are available from Australia.
  15. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I'v run a twin since the first week...Love it.
  16. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Member

dual-pull brake lever

Hi all.
    Have don this mod myself out of a moutain-bike brake-lever. [see Pics in my album]. Drilled through the main body, shaped the casing to take a steel rod which was drilled at it's end's to take the cables then used a piece of 1/4 steel to screw in the lever end adjusters. Have set the brakes so that rear brake comes on just before the front. Been running it for months and a hundred or so K's. Works great. Also a good practise is to ruff-up your rims with a bit of 60 grit emery cloth and sand the brake blocks lightly. Brakes realy efficient even in the wet.

Happy riding you-all.:jester:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

Mine also has a swivel mechanism.But with the right tuning it should work (I hope) so you can avoid disaster!
  18. loquin

loquin Active Member

The only issue I have with dual-pull brake levers being used for both front and rear brakes is that you have introduced a common point of failure for both brakes...

In my case, I added a front drum brake wheel to my Trek, which already had rim V-brakes. So, I'm considering a dual-brake lever for the front. If the front lever fails, I still have rear brakes.
  19. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

True, if the lever fails you will have no brakes. I have thought of this. When I was younger I had no brakes on my 10 speed (could not afford the cables). So I stuck my foot on the front tire. I did think about using the double lever for clutch and brake (front or rear have not decided yet).
  20. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

I have had the dual on a few bikes and they are nice.But putting all your stopping power under one lever can be a poblem IMO.It is a cheaply made part. So if you are going to use one, build one out of a quality lever as stated above.