Dui, And Evading On My Motor Assisted Bicycle

That does suck. Hopefully, it won't be so bad for you. Were you tearing down the street, as I would probably do ?
I still ride looking over my shoulder, with my thumb next to the kill switch. And I do tend to go for spins after dinner, post-beer. Your story will help to remind me that I'm riding a motor vehicle, and NOT to drink first. :oops:

Here in PA, our mb's are more like toys. We tend to think "it's just a toy", as they have no license plate and no insurance. Just start it up like a mower, and start cuttin'. Maybe someday, as gas hits 7.00 per gal, we will have our mb's here legally.
In a bordering state like Maryland, anyone can ride one, and NO plates or registration are needed. Just a regular standard driver's license. Heaven.:cool:

Not fair at all.

Please let us know the outcome. Wishing you the best luck.

- Al

I've always wondered why people dont just move out of oppressive states... sure you'll still have to deal with retarded federal (imperial) law but theres no reason to get nailed to the wall more than you have control over.

DITCH PA!!! dont give them the benefit of your taxation.

waiting on paper work then i'll know more, as to the charges.

Thanks all for the support and kinds words. Thanks again.

Hopefully you won't get charged with fleeing and eluding police, because that is a felony. However, what you did was so minor, I can't see them charging you with that. Even if they do, there is a good chance it will be reduced to a misdemeanor.

well let me tell you with my mortgage being 2 months behind and now with this on my shoulders, i believe with my wife in total agreeience<(sp)/ We are going to Forclose on our house and move into an apartment with our 2 children. With a 1,100 mortgage and me only making 13 an hour . we have no choice at all. its time to take our loses and run. I had lost over $3 / hour with my job and her loosing her job, we have no choice. This really sucks , but maybe in the future we will be able to afford to live. I hope other people out there can make it further than us. God Bless all.

I got a DUI driving my car, even tho I passed all their field sobriety tests I blew a .13 They said I touched the white line as I was getting off the freeway.

Now I ride my motor bike to my DUI classes :p Also the motorbike saves me so much in gas that it pays for the fines and fees associated with my DUI. It's costing me about $3000 all in all for this momentary lapse in judgment.

Wow... I can't believe you saw the lights and then managed to make it away!! And then your neighbors ratted you out!!! Craziness! I think SirJakesus is right... move to another state, man!

Anyway, about the laws... Yes, every states are different, but bicyclists are not excluded from "the rules of the road" that every cop has drilled into their brain. I highly doubt they'll give you evading the police. My friend had some stuff in his car that he shouldn't have had... so he decided to keep on driving. He actually messed up his car, and purposely ran into two other cop cars. When the cops finally got him, they gave him no evasion charge; I've heard multiple times that they don't give evasion charges unless they pull out the spike strips, but I dunno.

My state's law is also kinda strange for public drunk. Technically, you can't get that ticket unless you're around two other people. The cop is one. All he has to do is detain you until his buddy shows up, and bam... you've broken the law. I'll certainly continue to ride as long as I've had 4 or less beers. I know my limit, and that's what puts me at 0.08%. Moderation is key! Respecting those with authority (whether deserved or not) can only help your situation, even if you are in the wrong. If you're not, then you'll be free to go after a couple minutes.

Golly gee whiz, tho... I still can't believe you ran!

Wow... I can't believe you saw the lights and then managed to make it away!! And then your neighbors ratted you out!!! Craziness! I think SirJakesus is right... move to another state, man!

Anyway, about the laws... Yes, every states are different, but bicyclists are not excluded from "the rules of the road" that every cop has drilled into their brain. I highly doubt they'll give you evading the police. My friend had some stuff in his car that he shouldn't have had... so he decided to keep on driving. He actually messed up his car, and purposely ran into two other cop cars. When the cops finally got him, they gave him no evasion charge; I've heard multiple times that they don't give evasion charges unless they pull out the spike strips, but I dunno.

My state's law is also kinda strange for public drunk. Technically, you can't get that ticket unless you're around two other people. The cop is one. All he has to do is detain you until his buddy shows up, and bam... you've broken the law. I'll certainly continue to ride as long as I've had 4 or less beers. I know my limit, and that's what puts me at 0.08%. Moderation is key! Respecting those with authority (whether deserved or not) can only help your situation, even if you are in the wrong. If you're not, then you'll be free to go after a couple minutes.

Golly gee whiz, tho... I still can't believe you ran!

not ever having record or getting in trouble with the law , as explained I had panicked. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have made the same decision, and yes i got away, knowing how my bike works and knowing the roads and off roads. DAM neighbors anyway lol. I can smile now with all the support from my CO Workers, backing me up 110%. They think it is bull****e, and have offered me money twords my fines. They know i'm not a criminal or a heroin/DRUG addict, and wish they could be at my hearing for a charachter whitness to give them a piece of mind, knowing that this is all a bunch of BS. To be honest if I was a cop i wouldve tracked the person down and had a simple discution with them and then had a lauph and told them to not run from the police (ON A MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLE), then that would've been a done deal. But no , they have to get their BONUS points. But OWELL LIVE AND LEARN. Thanks ALL

Hey Hot70,ever thought about getting a lawyer? You know,one that would lower your fines and maybe even drop that record so your insurance won't skyrocket?
Sometimes a little investment their way can go a long way.
At least get the free counseling. Most won't take a case they can't win.

Hey Hot70,ever thought about getting a lawyer? You know,one that would lower your fines and maybe even drop that record so your insurance won't skyrocket?
Sometimes a little investment their way can go a long way.
At least get the free counseling. Most won't take a case they can't win.

looking into several Lawyers now, they want to see the charges first.

Back