Durable commuter bike candidates?

Rgvkid

Local time
6:21 AM
I did a search but not sure if there is a thread on which bikes are good candidates for commuting? Im sure this has been talked about in the past, does anyone have a link or insight on durable bike suggestions?

Im planning a Pushtrailer 30 miles commuter and later on down the line a long road trip. I currently have an older freebie Motive MB, I think it was a costco special. The rear shock sucks but it is an aluminum frame so its really light. Im not sure the frame is that strong though. I'd like a suspension bike and something that isn't to heavy but will stand the test of time and speed. Which bikes would you guys prefer or suggest?

Sorry, I should have put this in the Traveling& Commuting forum. Maybe an administrator can change it for me.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to worry about the strength of the bike frame if you are using a push trailer. Just use a comfortable bike.
If your commute is 60 miles round trip, you will probably need a fuel tank bigger than a half gallon. I use a 3/4 gallon tank for my 50 mile round trip commute. Cheers

Its a 30mile Round trip commute with 1 really big hill. Im using a 2.5 HF honda clone 4 stroke so i should get about 100+mpg. I will definitely be carrying a small container of extra gas just in case. Im thinking of changing the wheels to something more durable but im not sure if i should upgrade the current bike of should i just buy a better bike all together.

My personal opinion is to go out and find an old used Trek Cro-Moly framed mountain bike. The quality of everything that goes into the higher end bikes is MUCH better than what is being sold in the $100 price range new today. You can find an old Trek (or comparable) bike at auction or even garage sales. In the long run, I think you'll end up with a much more durable bike with better components than buying some new cheapo ride.

Warner

One thing that has surprised me is the realization that even cheap bikes seem to be pretty much strong enough for this use. You'll see an occasional exception here, but not all that many.

Like someone mentioned, too, strength shouldn't be much of an issue for you with a push trailer.

With a cheap bike, also, you get some advantages. If you just don't like the feel of the bike you can try a new one without breaking the bank. Or if you, say, bend a wheel you can just buy a new bike and use your old one for spare parts.

Back