Dynamo Bike Light

H

hunbro

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to get those funky dynamo ligts that you get on those beach crusier. Thanks in advance.

Hunbro

I believe it has been determined that they don't hold up to sustained speeds or vibrations but some have had luck by joining white wire to switch and running light off of it (just cut the dynamo off)

The beach cruisers I see often have big-style headlights, but they usually don't have dynamos--so I guess there's batteries inside the headlight. ...Some beach-cruiser bike companies sell accessories and various parts sparately, so you might check if you can just buy one that way.

The generator-style lights that rub the tire are also called "bottle lights", so you could try looking & asking around for that too. -If that was what you wanted (you could toss the dynamo and just run the headlight of some 6V batteries, if you have somewhere else you can stash them). Bottle light setups are just about commecially extinct in the USA, but they're still fairly common in Europe I understand.
~

try Aztlanbicycles.com, they have both the dynamo generator kind and battery opereated ones, that's where I bought one for a cruiser project

you can get them off amazon and just hook it up to the whit generator wire you will need to add a switch though our they have some on bikeworldusa.com these guys sell some bullet headlights that run off a 9 volt battery and have a whole bunch check them out

Generator lights

I hooked up a generator on my cruiser and it lit both lights very well untill you hit a speed of thirty or so miles per hour. There is no real regulator attached to them because using peddle power won't peak them but run 30 MPH and you burn em up, right now!
Just a FYI
Brian

a wet cell battery in the system was the traditional stabilizer since it would absorb the voltage spikes that burn up the bulbs.

Re: Generator lights

Dockspa1 said:
I hooked up a generator on my cruiser and it lit both lights very well untill you hit a speed of thirty or so miles per hour. There is no real regulator attached to them because using peddle power won't peak them but run 30 MPH and you burn em up, right now!
Just a FYI
Brian

I think I know what you mean, I had my generator running, but when I hit 40 the other day, i noticed a burning rubber smell and my lights went out. When i check it the next day (had to park it and sleep right away) i noticed the spinning part that touches the tire stopped and started chipping away at the rubber itself. little white rubber flakes powdered my entire read tire and frame + all parts attached to frame. It was like snow.

not sure

Edward said:
a wet cell battery in the system was the traditional stabilizer since it would absorb the voltage spikes that burn up the bulbs.

If you don't regulate the wet cell and the battery overcharges then what happens? Just curious.

Back