E-Bay Shopping for a [Whizzer]

vrpelican@yahoo.com

Local time
3:48 PM
I've been a guest browser for nearly a year and have posted about five times, always with questions (most recently about mopeds, Tomos and Metro Rider), but am now again thinking about Whizzer, especialy the two brand new 1999 and 1995 models, both currently bidding under $400.00. They are both 26" models, the 1999 with a black faced speedometer and the 2005 with a white faced speedometer. I have no clue what models they are and whether or not they are the clutch or automatic models that are so often discussed in this forum. One would ship from Wisconsin and the other I could pick up in Santa Cruz. Because of all the great ideas and suggestions from motorbike enthusiasts at MotoredBikes.com, I anticipate the need for simple, low cost modifications to insure a safe and reliable ride.

Thanks for your interest in my post. I welcome your comments and suggestions.
1999 Whizzer 6.jpg

1999 Whizzer 7.jpg

1999 Whizzer 2.jpg

1999Whizzer 9.jpg

Santa Cruz Whizzer 2.jpg

Santa Cruz Whizzer.jpg

The black one shown in your picture looks to be a slip clutch and will need the engine updated completely to the NE5 kit unless you are after a vintage original show bike. Hope that helps. Quenton should chime in with specific recommendations though. The second one seems to also be a slip clutch with coaster brake but looks to be a newer NE5 engine that should need far fewer engine update expenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
EBay shopping for a Whizzer

Thanks Kep1A

I've subitted a bid for the2005.

Although below minimum, I'm still the top bidder and hope that the buyer will accept my offer. I noticed that the shiny chrome exhaust has taken on a bronzed hue. Is that to be expected after only 49 miles? I know that's it's normal for discoloration with time; is it possible that the Whizzer was run at full speed without allowing for the proper break-in period?

Most likely the photo and not the exhaust as IMHO I doubt a stock whizzer could discolor the exhaust evenly tip to tip.

Kep1a,
Thanks for addressing my concern. The minimum reserve bid has not been met, and the auction time has expired, nonetheless I will decline even if the seller accepts my offer. I don't feel comfortable with this seller since he has only been on EBay for one month and he has not responded to any of my questions.

The 2005 is an NE5, which is the better choice as far as saving money on upgrades is concerned. Havig a 2005 NE5 myself, the upgrade you need to consider right off the bat would be mushroom lifters. The original lifters on my Whizzer had gone bad in under 300 miles. The mushroom lifters will solve that problem, and they are available through Whizzer Motorbikes, various Whizzer dealers and poissibly through Quenton. I'm not sure if he has any left.
Another upgrade will help performance a bit, and will also make it sound even better. It's the hi-flo muffler insert.
The 2005 appears to have the slip clutch, as I see it's equipped with a coaster brake. The coaster brake can offer varying degrees of effectiveness, so an upgrade to a Shimano brake at some point is wise. Also, I concur with Kep1a about the bronze coloring of the pipe being a lighting issue. I hope this is of help.

NE5 is the best choice <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.imagedumpr.com/up/pages/3808/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.imagedumpr.com/up/pages/3808/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Back