Early Flex vs Echo Tube Performance?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Buzz Bomb, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Buzz Bomb

Buzz Bomb Member

Does anyone know if there is any performance difference between the early flex w/tip and the later echo tube pipe, including any stock or upgraded insert?
    :whistling:

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Good question

I'm going with the flex pipe on my build because that's what I have. Good question though.

Jim

3. pedal4416

pedal4416 New Member

i would like to know the answer to this question before i buy/make an exhaust for my Whizzer H

4. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

If you look at the price difference between the two, that's what made the call for me. Memory Lane has the Echo tube for $115.00.

Jim

5. pedal4416

pedal4416 New Member

I don't mind spending the money to make my bike nice, but I'm still wondering about the performance benefits.

6. WZ507

WZ507 Member

Flex Pipe Vs Echo Tube

The echo tube is a considerably less restrictive exhaust system than the flex pipe, as it has no baffle, and is simply a wide open hard pipe. The Flex Pipe acts like a smaller tube (more restrictive) than a hard pipe due to its irregular inner surface, and in combination, the little fishtale tip on the flex pipe is quite restrictive since it has both an internal baffle and a small elongated outlet. The vintage Whizzer engines, as well as the modern ones, have a considerable restriction in the torturous exhaust port/manifold path, let alone adding insult to injury with the installation of a Flex Pipe and fish tale. I would personally eliminate the back pressure and let it breath. It'll run cooler and be happier with the Echo Tube. The Flex Pipe/fishtale combo is very quiet and the Echo tube is much louder (sounds geat to my deaf ears). So the question for Dear Abby - should the rider be happy with the low cost Flex Pipe, or should the engine be happy the expensive Echo Tube? I don't think Ole Abby can handle this one so it will be on you to decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015