easiest way to mount engine?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by bigluelok, May 9, 2009.

1. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

cheapest way to mount engine?

whats the easiest way to do a friction setup?

i have no access to any tools like welder's, metal benders.

what i do have is an assortment of wrenches, screw driver's, ratchet's, socket's, and a brill with a few drill bit's.

help me out ive been searching and searching all day today.
    i cant find anything that doesn't need any specialty tool's.

if you know where i can find an easy set up for a noob like myself please help me out.

i will be putting this on a mountain bike, then saving for a beach cruiser and swapping it over if possible or just start from scratch for my next bike.
    Last edited: May 9, 2009

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

3. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

i wish i could afford that kit. im poor so not much money
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

That kit is over $200 less than its competitor.

:idea:You COULD "McGuyver" the entire assembly with a used weedwhacker engine, box tubing, nuts, bolts, hinges, springs or bungee cords, BMX footpeg and a throttle cable.

Information on a project like this can be found at the other forum you posted at.

Probably cost less than $100.:detective:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  5. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

cool ill check over there too. i like this forum more thats why i posted here first
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

deacon is the king of DIY weedwhacker friction drive over there.
  7. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

thanks ill look up his threads
  8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

It is not the easiest way to install friction drive; it's the cheapest.:detective:
  9. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

yeah that's what i meant lol
  10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have a set of plans to make a friction drive kit for a bike. Pretty simple plans & the main frame is wood ! I think a handsaw & drill were all that I needed, if I remember right. Parts were available at local hardware & auto parts stores. It was CHEAP to build & worked pretty well. The plans are somewhere in a cabinet , I THINK, & I will have to " splore " to find them.
  11. augidog

augidog Banned

12. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

so here are pics of the bike that i got for free. is it capable if working for this?

13. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

if you find it please let me know
  14. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

No way, apples and apples.

I can buy a new Staton w/Robin shipped for $399

The linked kit cost $159 shipped plus that same engine is gonna run at least another $200 so....$359 minimum.
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  15. Happy Valley

That bike will do just fine.

For a friction drive you'll probably want to swap out the rear tire for a smooth tread.

Take a look at this thread:

In particular, look for a series of posts and pics by a member named a-dam on that thread. He has an innovative little setup, simple and light, cost effective and works well.
  16. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

thanks happy valley. and i read that knobby tires are not good for friction drive so i will be getting at least a new rear tire
  17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Yes way...to me.

So that's $40 saved...plus an extra $100 shipped to me.

Then there's an extra $100 you can save by using a clone engine.

So that's $240 saved.

When I compare BMP kit vs. Staton kit, I'm comparing overall prices, not apples/apples. Not using the same engine.

I have several engines on hand. A BMP kit would cost me $169 shipped. A Staton kit without engine would cost me $229 plus $56 shipping.

In every case there's $$ to be saved.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  18. Happy Valley

Apples and oranges then.

Or maybe with the shipping cost to HI it should be apples and pineapples.

So using your numbers $169 from $285 = $116....not over $200.

Hey, shipping to Hawaii is a killer. But like I said Staton ships kits free in the continental US.
  19. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I would LOVE to remain faithful to a vendor who supplies excellent equipment, but shipping costs makes a BIG difference. If they used USPS, it'd save me a bundle.