Easy disc brake adaptor.

So I looked at lots of options for disc brake adaptors for non disc brake forks. I know there are lots of products out there for sale but I'm always looking to save money and I love to build stuff.
So here is what I did.
1- Found a 0.25" thick and 2.5"×4" piece of scrap steel plate. I imagine you can find or buy some anywhere.

2- I drilled a 25/64" hole in one corner. 1/2" from each edge to center then placed it on the wheels axle between the rim and fork then tightened it enough to hold it in place.
3- I then used a paint marker to draw lines around the fork and mark the bolt hole. This way I'd know how much to cut out and where to drill for my secondary hold down.

4-Then cutting out the scrap for the shape of the fork and drilled the secondary mounting hole I place it on again this time on the Outside of the fork.

5- I then slid my caliper over the disc of the brake to see if my bracket or disc needed to be shimmed with washers one way or another. Fortunately it did not. Lucky this time.

6- That done I used the same paint marker to mark the mounting holes for the caliper bracket and drilled them out.

7- After checking for proper fit and finding everything satisfactory I took a file and sandpaper to smooth out rough and sharp edges. I'll paint it after trying it out to make sure it doesn't need adjustments.

I made this build on a beach cruiser frame but after looking at my other bikes I'll be able to repeat this on them with minor differences.

Attachments

• 0227171500.jpg
    0227171500.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 533
  • 0227171459.jpg
    0227171459.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 0227171502.jpg
    0227171502.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 0227171549.jpg
    0227171549.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 0227171748a.jpg
    0227171748a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 0227171748b.jpg
    0227171748b.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Very helpful! Thanks a million!
Your welcome Timbone. I figured even if someones done it before I might as well share mine.
I also hope to share more builds on the future. I'm building a new engine mouting bracket for the built in gas tank bike frames that are showing up more and more.

Nice job both in both realizing the need for a front brake, and finding a way to mount a caliper to a non-disc fork for the disc brake wheel you had ;-}

One question: are you sure the bracket has adequate strength with just the two support points near the axle? (Maybe a loop connection at the top end?) I love this design! Best I have seen.

That's a good question Timbone. I have thought about that. The answer is Yes I believe it is.
After browsing the other brackets on the market which are either
Machined from aluminim with only a hole for the wheel axel and a small tab to hold it in place.
Or stamped 3/16" bar stock some with straps some without. Still with only a single mounting hole.

I used a grade 8 bolt for my secondary mounting bolt and my bracket is 1/4" thick.
That said I'm also a fan of over engineering so I will either put a strap on it or weld it in place.
I'll decide which after some more tinkering and refinement. I'm also considering making a hub adaptor for the right side and have dual disc brakes on the front.

I've also got it in my head to make a dual disc brake hub adaptor so I can mount a disc on both sides of a non disc brake standard wheel hub. So time to heat up home made smelter and dig out my sand mold box and have some fun.
If anyone wants to play at smelting and casting check " The King of Random" on YouTube. This guy's videos are informative, time and money saving.

Here's the beach cruiser I made the disc brake caliper adaptor for. I kept the original rim brake in place as well and used a dual brake lever to control them both on the front wheel.
With the rear rim brake still in place maybe it's overkill but Damn it stops on a dime now as the saying goes.

Attachments

• 0308171832.jpg
    0308171832.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 250
Back