Ebay Add-on generator to magneto?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mogogear, Apr 13, 2015.

1. mogogear

mogogear Member

So I am not a generator expert but this fellow seems to have made a wire wrapped section of metal that tucks inside the magneto housing in small blank spot. Pretty straight ahead. He, I assume, has just added another coil for the spinning magnets to pass by and thereby develops about 3-6+V . Has anyone bought one of these and have any input? he also offers a 12v version and various switches and wires. The basic 6V version would be all that I am interested in.

You would need to add a switch, a head light ( incandescent as this is a AC generator - you could mod to DC if you choose) a tail light. Add a small battery and rectifier if you want a battery charging system too. Add a brake switch and mod the tail light to be a brake light also ... $24 + SH ( no- I am not the person making them.

Seems like a nice idea!! Am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400080371286?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

What says the group here?

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

looks good but if you dont have a regulator it could burn out your lights at high rpm

3. mogogear

mogogear Member

Mr Jag,

It could indeed. The sellers take pains to explain that revving the engine at a stop can blow the bulbs. I like the simplicity of the option and because I know so little ( at this point in time) about converting AC to DC that I may be assuming that a easy conversion so you could also run more long lived LED bulbs is a small hurdle.

It just seems after reading some many threads and the cost associated with:

Bottle generators
    Head lights
    rectifiers
    regulators
    battery packs
    chargers
    lights switches
    etc

That this could be a dependable source of power. The "White Wire " just won't do it.

Every other options also requires some modification or extra component to work. I am drawn to what works on most other transportation: Alternators or generators-adapted to the equipment they serve- from motorcycle, car, steamship
    or locomotive.

I hope a member here has one and can report user information.

Thanks for your note!!!

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't have one myself, but I've heard good things. it would be trivial to wire in a voltage regulator.

5. mogogear

mogogear Member

Hey, I just saw you are in Biloxi!! Cool, I have family in Ocean Springs and will be down visiting on August.

Yep ,after reading all the effort put into doing other mods- that a regulator would be a piece of cake- or what ever the name is of the device that changes AC to DC for LED bulbs. is that a "rectifier?" I will need to brush up on my basic knowledge ...

Again, And I have stated this already- this seems the route to go. No bottle generator to wear out, mount and drag on the tire. No drain off the magneto output and starve the spark plug, and if you wanted- no batteries.

I am still looking for a down side. If it is money- all the other systems seem to be more expensive and require more effort to maintain if not build.

cheers

6. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Rechargable battery sounds the most practical to me. Small battery (maybe a hacked 18V tool battery) that is periodically charged with a $20 charger could offer more than enough juice for a good lighting system.

The alternator sold on Ebay seems to be a solid product/ idea, but no light without engine power.

7. mogogear

mogogear Member

True--6 of one / half dozen of the other --$20 charger or a $24 generator- either one with a battery + a light system-

The generator can be a charger too! True?

Different ways to skin the cat

8. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Power is not free, you will loose engine power generating electric power.

A full wave bride rectifier converts AC to DC, it is just 4 diodes, less than $1.
    A sealed Lead Acid battery is more forgiving than Lithium Ion when charging with a varying voltage.

9. mogogear

mogogear Member

I am sure you are right about the bit of drag from the coil as there is not much about motor bikes you don't know. I always tip my hat to you KC either from what I have read from your posts here or on your own forum. But I would bet it is not much more (and perhaps less that a goofy bottle genny.

I am sure I will take a chance on it and then post what I find. $24 is a easy small gamble. I wont get my engine installed till June as I have other projects to finish first (a small sail boat I'm refinishing and an rc tug boat)

Thanks for the opinions I have read!~

10. Smith09

Smith09 New Member

This is really an informative article! Reading through all these comments was very helpful for me to make decision to invest in a powerful Genset just like honda 2000 generator. This generator has loads of amazing features!

11. KCvale

Yep, neat little genie.
    Mount that in your bike and put a 110V AC motor on the thing ;-}

12. stroland

stroland New Member

after seeing the add on coil from ebay i mite just beat apart an old transformer and wind it my self.

13. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

I just use a 12v tire dynamo wired to a scooter rectifier and a 4A glass fuse going from the rectifier to the junction box under my gas tank.

14. stroland

stroland New Member

i had one of those on a peddle bike and it had a lot of drag on the bike

15. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

That's what the motor is for.

16. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Almost all systems that produce electrical power for motorized devices extract energy from the system. The best power option for our bikes might be to use a TEG (Thermoelectric Power Generation). It draws its power from the thermal difference between the heat of the motor versus the ambient air temperature. Therefore it does not add to the load demands of the motor.

17. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

I've used rechargeable batteries to power LEDs and had a solar cell on my bike to recharge slowly while the bike was parked in the sun. But the lighting system also had a jack that accepted a plug from an AC adaptor so I could more rapidly charge the batteries from my homes AC.

18. KCvale

This is simple.
    A typical 66cc 2-stroke puts out ~2.75 HP which is 2,050 Watts, both are convertible measurements for Power Generated.

Most AC/DC conversion systems for things like this run in the 30-35% power loss range.
    I suggest you let your ride have all the power for moving you and use LI batteries for light.

19. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

KC, Have you experimented with a TEG yet? I've been looking at them as they are now showing up in backpacking stove systems and tea pots for charging cell phones and GPS devices while we cook or boil water. One mounted on our exhaust system can produce significant power using waste heat. Might be worth looking into.

20. KCvale

Actually yes, not experimented but I looked into thermal difference electricity generation a couple years back.

I don't have time to find what my research concluded on my web site today, but that tech, which is similar to solar cells, actually will generate DC from your exhaust pipe/head/whatever is really hot for free.

The greater the difference in ambient temp and the hot spot is directly proportional to the power the cells put out.

One odd thing about them is if you apply power to the cells they actually cool what they are attached to.

They aren't very efficient or cheap, but with a few cells on your exhaust header and head you might get enough truly free power for a couple LED's, phone, etc.

Like a solar cell, no engine power loss.