Effortless thumb throttle zero cost

professor

Local time
12:57 PM
A discussion elsewhere made me think of posting this simple throttle adaption.
I found it much better than anything else I have ever used (did ride motorcycles ages ago).
This is one of those plastic shift thingies (a left one I think) from a cheap bike, I added a braised on stop so it would return to a horisiontal mode at idle.

I have the screw set to retain the position (like a cruise control). Probably not a good idea if one uses a cent. clutch rather than a hand clutch.

The lever sits right under the at rest position on the handlebar (and in my case my index finger returns it to idle)

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 423
Good idea. My throttle cable sticks less with a thumb throttle. Mine is made from a thumb shifter too.

That would be an old friction shifter? One without the detents so it is infinitely adjustable? Very interesting as I have been less than excited about the throttle/grip supplied with most kits. I know it's knid of a standard, but if I can keep the grips I like and you said you like it better than traditional. Definitely something I will keep in mind. I believe I have one still mounted on an old bike that I would have replaced and likely junked.

Yeah, I didn't know what to call it. I think you need a left hand one though to put on the right so the action is down for full throttle.

Back