electric bikes in Australia

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by stowaway, Aug 5, 2007.

1. stowaway

stowaway Guest

I want to make one of my bikes into a ebike. I want it to go atleast 45km/h (27mph)

The problem is that the kits are so **** heavy! It is going to cost me $500USD just to post it from overseas.

Does anyone know any local suppliers?

Also, is it the battery that takes up the majority of the weight? perhapes i could get everything imported and get the battery locally.

2. Chopper

Chopper Guest

There's a few kits on ebay here locally.

3. iron_monkey

iron_monkey Guest

Purpose built electric kits cost a fortune (compared to combustion engine kits). Here is a local supplier: http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/bikesale/bsale.htm

I'm thinking of making a rough e-bike from parts from oatley electronics in sydney.

If this doesnt satisfy me Im lucky enough to have chinese parents going back to china soon and hopefully get a e-wheel back for extremely cheap.

Ive heard those chinese kit engines cost only around $30AU in china(they cost $180 AU here), I hope its the same for the electrics.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  4. stowaway

stowaway Guest

eletronics

I have 2 friends in china now.

so hopefully they can find it for me.

i already have 2 gas bicycles. I want a more subtle bike to get around on.

5. fredie

fredie Member

what happened too the shop in oatley

6. kjparker

kjparker Member

They have no stock of the motors...

Try that other link, this guy is pretty switched on.

7. Simon_A

Simon_A Member

Oatleys had these for ages. Was umming and ahhing for a long time as to whether to get one for fun.

Now I actively want one they have been sold out for months.

8. Z box now selling elec bikes with a full compliment of spares, you could build your own.

Has its own web site

http://www.zbike.com.au/

9. mikemason

mikemason New Member

I live in USA but when I was searching "hub motor" on google most of the sites were in Australia... It was hard to find a USA site (I didn't save the links though) I would think you can find one easily ?

Hope that helps, good luck