electric friction drive

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by Will Snow, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

I have kicking around different ideas for electric drive.

Was set on chain drive with gear selection but the more I look at the Terra trike I am not so sure.

Hub motor, probably not. The wheels on this trike are 20" and to get a 20-25 mph top speed the voltage will have to be pretty high

Friction Drive: I know the short comings of friction drive, but it is the most simple system that I can think of. The other plus for me is I can mount the motor low with a little creativity plus battery location. If I can use the right size roller I should be able to reach the speeds I desire.

Not sure of this either. Looking for someone who has done this with electric friction drive to get their advise.

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I will have to " electric start " my brain to remember the details, but not too many years ago, there were several electric kits marketed that used a friction drive on a bike. I will try to come up with the names. Several used an automobile electric fan motor, or 2, mounted on the rear side of the wheel. I believe " Zap " was one, but many were homemade, too. I will post more, later.
  3. professor

professor Active Member

One of the guys on Endless Sphere used a spindle adapter (I think that is what you call it) from McMaster Carr. It has a 3/8 hole to fit in the motor shaft and a threaded 1/2 inch shaft. He put a wheel on it and a bearing on the outboard end.
    Only thing is it doesnt' have a clutch.
  4. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

I remember the ZAP kit now that you mention it. I had a couple friction drives many years ago ( Bike machine, Mx-5 ) which did pretty well except on wet streets. The wet streets is the main reason I got away from friction drive. Tire wear did not seem to be a problem as I remember. I would always peddle first to about 3-4 mph before I would use motor power. I think that helped tire wear a lot.

I don't think I know who McMaster Carr is. A spindle adapter might be an interesting item to start with, could you tell me how to get intouch with McMaster?

Thank you for the help.
  5. professor

professor Active Member

Punch in McMaster Carr on a search. They are an industrial materials source and are one of the suppliers the company I work at deals with, but if you do credit card purchase ( my buddy tells me) they will sell to you. Huge amount of stuff.
  6. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

Thank's, I found it.

Another person on Endless Sphere has just posted his home built electric friction drive. He did a neat job and the cost was under $200.00 for everthing including batteries. He took some good shots of it and I believe he posted it under electric bicycles. Take a look, I think you might like it.
  7. professor

professor Active Member

I went over there and saw one where the batterys and controller were in a case on the back.
    It's bad to put the controler in a place where it gets no cooling. Guess I'll go back and tell him. Great workmanship on the conversion. Post was titled solar something.
  8. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

That's right, I had forgot about the controller. I will be putting a system together soon and will have to remember that.