Ello. Another Aussie here.

F

Fox

Hi. :D

Im very glad to have found this forum, I have been debating whether to buy a certain motor or not, and thanks to you all I have made my decision.

I think they are called King motor, they are a 70/80cc unit, looks to be made in China.

Anyway, the supplier is out of stock, I have emailed them. I hope to put it into a standard "oversize" mtb frame, possibly an apollo. I have been looking at older steel framed bikes and may have found one.

Ill probably replace the gaskets, kill switch (and add a keyswitch), replace the grip accelerator assembly and do some other mods the moment I get the motor. I'd rather start with quality. I have heard some of the parts are weak.

I have heard a few things about breaking in engines, one camp says that the engine should be babied and treated carefully, the other side says gun the engine to seat the rings properly. I understand the quality of engines nowadays means that the latter may be correct, however with these cheap chinese engines, would a mix be a good choice? Pressure the engine, strain it somewhat, then ease off and let the engine cool before doing the same again? :?

Nice to meet you all. Hopefully I will be posting pics soon.

~Fox

hi, Fox...we're glad you found us, too :)

sounds like you've done your homework, and i guess you'll be able to give the next beginner your own "beak-in" feedback soon. it looks like the down-under crowd is growing, time to form your own chapter & organize a ride, eh?

welcome to the MBc 8)

The Mad Max chapter!!!

Welcome, and I think we could clear that break in question up, now that a certain someone won't call us a dumf*** if we don't have a PhD.
IMHO, anything over 35 cc is more of the "motor cycle" gentle break in, varied speed, type situation.

Those of us with the little weedwhackers are the ones which do best at full bore.

LET THE PIE FIGHT COMMENCE! :eek:

:D Its great to be here. (They have the motors in stock, im ordering one today!)

Anyone got any idea on how long these last? I was quoted 5000 km, im hoping they accidentally dropped the last 0... Im thinking of riding this to university every day, at 60km per day, its not going to last very long.

~Fox

(Now I had better go drop my wages in the bank account so I can pay the distributor)

***edit***

Just bought a mountain bike, second hand for 70$ AUD, A Royce Union "Red Rock". I didnt want to use an alloy but this bike's frame is well and truly oversized, shouldnt be a hassle.

Engine should be here monday :) I cant wait.
Now to regrease the bike (Lithium grease), oil the chain (with graphite and medium-low weight oil) and check out the bearings on this bike.. Might get a bike seat with shock absorber as well.

G'day

Hi from a fellow Aussie! 8)

Quick question where did r u getting ru engine from???

I bought mine from off ebay. Under $200 pretty cheap quality, I took one look at the throttle control, laughed hysterically and then tossed it away!! I improvised with a brake lever, which works surprisingly well. I installed the original kill switch, but after only a couple of weeks the little red button is about to popout!! will be replacing that very soon.

That being said, the engine seems to be great, starts first pop, and seems to be developing more power each day, I shall keep my fingers crossed.

Hope your build goes well, you have certainly come to the right place, the guys here are pretty amazing, with a vast wealth of knowledge.

look forward to seeing some pix of your ride when shes complete.

cya
Stu

I bought the 70cc motor from zbox.com.au, counting the hours till it arrives :)

~Fox

Fox- while you wait, (and all the other new installs too), get your wheels/tires as indestructible as possible.

If you have a bike shop, get some Huffy tire liners, or some other brand, to "doublewall the tire". and get those $7 slime tubes at Wal-Mart (ughhhh, I boycott them, but have to get my tubes there).

You are going to be hitting speeds and bumps the bike isn't accustomed too, so buy a pack of zip ties and tie all your spokes together, less chance of them working loose later.

AND, wrap layers of electrical tape inside the wheel, over the spoke ends, because 1,000 miles from now, those ends will wear through the flimsy rubber gasket.

Nothing worse than a flat tire 30 miles from the house.

Good idea. Didnt think of the cable ties..

I might smear silicone around the inside of the rim before I put the liner in. I have just put a dynamo and the lights on, the bike is aluminium... so I had to open up the lights and things and add a negative wire. (The dynamo uses the bike frame as the negative. I will have to do the same with the kill switch)

I will be regreasing the bike tomorrow with waterproof lithium grease, might change the bearings depending on the condition.

I know someone who makes rear wheels for motorised bikes, instead of spokes they have large fins. IF I can fit a cog then I might buy one.

~Fox

Back