Engine Bogging Down!! Need Help. Perhaps needle in carb?

Local time
2:18 AM
Ok So I just took apart my whole carb and cleaned it. When i connect it back up, the engine seems VERY VERY Sluggush. I double checked several times to see if I wasnt missing any pieces and I know for sure that I am not. What could the problem be? Like IM going full throttle in 1st gear (sbp shift kit) and its so dam slugish. How do I know what level to put the needle on? tghe fuel needle inside carb.

What kind of engine are we talking about? 2-stroke/4-stroke?

Diaphram carb, or gravity fed?

(So we can move this thread to the right forum...)

edit: moved to the 2-stroke 'Garage / Tech Help' forum.

Last edited:
I also moved my jet needle to the second level (from the top) but still no difference, then I moved it to the Fourth level (from the top) and still no difference. When I check the spark plug the first time It looked black and A LITTLE ashy. Wasnt all black like brown black.

Recently ive been having problems with my throttle cable sticking (Which it seems it will unless, as the manual says, you oil it).

The wrong throttle cable tension will also cause it to 'bottom out' when going full throttle. Try going two thirds throttle.

It's much more likely to be your fuel mix if the plug is black - either that or its been flooding OR you left it sitting around without closing off the fuel supply.

In any case, grab a small file or something coarse (I actually used a brick haha..) and a toothbrush and, using a little bit of petrol work it until its clean and shiny. Try to really get it in there as to make sure there isnt a conductive film on the white electrode casing in the middle of the plug.

Another thing you could check is if theres any moisture or anything inside your magneto cover - a bad magneto can also cause very sluggish performace.

You really shouldn't need to adjust your carb slide from stock just to get it running unless you're in a weird climate perhaps.

very interesting that you mention all of those things. I just changed my throttle, I also just installed a pullstart which involved changing magnet, and I changed my spark plug because the one before will leak a little oil because the washer around it was to thin. In addition I just got my bike to run after like 3 weeks. So the fuel is like 3 and half weeks old. Do you think that is the problem? I even changed the carb today to another one I had and still the same performance so I definately dont think its the carb.

Back