Engine Trouble Engine cut out issue

smallengineguy

Local time
5:13 PM
So its my first build,
I got this engine for 100 bucks my guess around 66cc-80cc bicycle engine (I got 2 these bad boys)also picked up
a bike that was in rough shape one those OCC or Jesse james chopper bicycle, with no back wheel so it has one those gear bicycle rear wheel but I hooked up a chain dosnt really work well the way pedal sprockets have wide spaces between spikes so the chain falls off after few pedals so I been push starting this thing and trying my hardest get this bad boy going I been running and jumping on and holding clutch in and releasing while holding back throttle engine revs then cuts out, not spinning chain hooked up to the engine to the rear.I fooled around with the choke a few times tried different heights no such luck.

Things I did,

1. Drained carb bowl.
2. Made sure I can hear my throttle needle moving up and down.
3. Made sure wires hooked up were alright black to black and so on.
4. Checked fuel lines.
5. Changed manifold position so carb slants up (Didn't test yet since the adjustments)
6. Checked and made sure my clutch wire is fine (Which is perfect but 1 issue when I turn left the lever holds clutch in)

Do I need to pedal this thing to get engine to drive? -
Also ordered a Alloy pull start and few odds and ends im thinking about hooking a 12v LEDs to this get its attention it needs in the night time.

Last edited:
you may need to get pedal power hooked up to get engine spinning fast enough to start running

My last attempt I hold in clutch ran down the road jumped released and gave it gas it started up but died out and I cant set idle screw quick enough keep it running? but it sounded very low when it was going when running with it.

Last edited:
screw the idle screw in a bit more so it will idle too fast when you start it, then pull the clutch and screw it out till its good.

remove magneto cover, cordless drill, 12....13...14mm socket on cranknut.

strap engine down to bench. or get ya mate to hold it :)

but wait...despite the wrong wheel, and a lousy setup that throws chains...you have had it FIRE? run? make a noise?

its very hard to tell from your description :)

if it fires...start by pulling the carb apart and cleaning it. cus everything else sounds fine. to a degree.

Ok so when I try jump starting this engine it starts but dosnt sound like a strong engine and getting a lot of power to rev it just dies out if I stop running but if I keep running bike stays started but sounds very low (Dosnt wanna rev like a strong engine) and when I instantly stop running it stops (engine) and its not trying to take off or anything either.
Carbs fine a little rust on idle but I cleaned it up with some WD40 and sand paper toke all that rust out. (also re cleaned idle screw with a little carb clean before putting it back into carb)

-Drill part - Needed tool on my list, but for the time being I usually crank it with a socket kick er down but I have a alloy pull start coming in from the mail so it ties around the fly nut which is amazing and it replaces magneto box, with the same box idea with a pulley attached which is going to interfere with my pedal (its already half a inc from hitting the magneto box)

Back