Engine died and won't start.. Please help

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by yamaha1000, Jul 2, 2009.

1. yamaha1000

yamaha1000 New Member

Well today I was rideing down the road just idleing along..when the engine died...it sounded electrical, because it didn't sputter at all..it just died out. The kit is only 3 days old. I looked over all the wireing, and everything looks good..it's getting fuel,just not fireing. My biggest question is could moisture do this? Did I ruin the cdi? It was raining very lightly..please help

2. BSA

BSA Guest

yes indeed. If water penetrated the coil unit or the magneto it ceratinly will cause failure.
    You can try drying everything out or you will have to get a new one. Seal the new one up with rtv or something too that affect.

3. yamaha1000

yamaha1000 New Member

Ok, thank you..I didn't think water would get in there..but I guess I learned on that one
  4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I remember reading this in another thread, dunno if it might help also:

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

good THING from what I hear -- to try your best to seal all elect wires from water
    some engins need this to be done ??

I have had very good luck using a hair dryer
    so as to dry out many items

6. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Could be the kill switch also.

Start right from the begining. Check all of the stupid stuff. Choke in down possition. Unless something got soaked, I can't see a prob in 3 days! Probably a bad connection or something!
  7. bootlegger

bootlegger Member

Try your plug. My bike will be running fine and it will just stop. I changed the plug and off it goes. Sometimes they just give up especially the Chinese ones that come with the kit.
  8. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Disconnect the kill switch and see if it will restart.
    If water gets in the switch, it could kill the spark. (especially if you have it hooked up to the blue wire - I use the white wire)
  9. yamaha1000

yamaha1000 New Member

The first thing I did was unhook the killswitch..still wouldn't start..so I fooled around with the wireing..wouldn't go. I changed the sparkplug to a ngk 6hs or something like that.. Still won't go..the enigine is getting fuel, and when I did the spark test it sparked good once and then didn't at all anymore..perhaps I was the unlucky one who got a bum ignition? I realy don't think it got that wet ..if you guys were to buy a new ignition which site would you order from?
  10. machiasmort

Before you go spending a ton of money. Make sure you know where the problem is. First double check every electrical connection. Make sure nothing white or blue is touching or near a ground (frame/motor ect.). Make sure your spark plug wire is screwed tight into your CDI (black box). Take the wire out by unscrewing and make sure it's not damp on the end.

If your still not getting a steady, reliable spark, proceed to test the magneto. There's some good posts on this site to help you do that. If you disconnect the gas, sparkpulg and empty the float bowl on carb!!! The motor will turn easier w/o plug in it. Use a meter to test the mag after searching and reading magneto testing post here on the site.

If your magneto is testing good than move on to test your CDI box. I believe it could be done by measuring the resistance with a meter.
  11. yamaha1000

yamaha1000 New Member

Ok, so today I took the cover off were the flywheel is... It was very wet in there.. So I dried it out an put it back together..and what do ya no it fired right up..so I ran it for a wile...shut it off and re started it a few times..all seemed well,but after a few mind it wouldn't start again
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

find it amazing !!!

find it amazing about this site
    many many many many good ideas just seem to go un noticed ???

when you can just go ahead and ride that thing
  13. machiasmort

Sounds like it's grounding at the magneto. Check to make sure your grommit seal the water out real good where the wires go through!

If ya get it running good again a light coat of rtv arround the seal will help!
  14. bughuggger

bughuggger New Member

One time mine stopped because the retaining screw on the friction clutch spring adjuster came loose and was rubbing against the panel. Only when it was hot. Just open up the panel over the gearbox and see if the brass screw is tight.
  15. machiasmort

LOL, that would be enough to drive one crazy troubleshooting!