Engine dies uphill!!! (Don't laugh)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by commanderroach1999, Oct 16, 2016.

1. I was doing good until u replaced the factory cdi with a high performance cdi and a high performance carburetor.when I go uphills the motor seems to loose power even at full throttle.I checked the spark plug and it was really diety like gunk of oil. I cleaned the carburetor, the spark plug, and the spark plug hole. I have to pedal to get up hills and it is still not enough. I need a solution by Wednesday night so please help me. Even after the cleaning it still won't go up hills. It feels like I am not getting the full throttle I had the other day.

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Put the original carb and CDI back on, one at a time........
    Only make one change at a time so you can see any effects.

Steve Best and Holly like this.
  3. Okay thx. I will try in the morning.

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

sounds rich, probably need a smaller jet

5. I don't know what they are or where I can buy them. I do know that it is in the carburetor.

6. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

problem is the jets in the carb have too large holes allowing too much gas to flow. (or the air filter is too restrictive [which can happen from too much oil on it])
    go to http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/jetting.html
    The second half is about how to jet a normal carburetor. The stock NT carb is not normal in that it doesn't have an idle jet with a separate circuit for it.

7. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

go back to CDI & carb you had - most 'performance' parts are a waste of money

Holly likes this.
  8. U are right I wasted about $70. What a sh*tty decision.

9. Tankmechanic

Tankmechanic New Member

An upgraded carb and cdi are a great start to performance . Will say this and leave it be. As with all performance Carbarator the trick is to tune it. You can't just throw a carb on and expect it to be a magic cure. Sounds to me you need to tune up the Carbarator. Myself have had excellent luck with boost bottles and the performance Carbarators but only when I've tuned the Carbarator to where I lived and also rejetted them.

10. Took both off works great now

11. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Active Member

Well he actually bought gasbikes version of the sbp lightning cdi, I know my real lighting works really really good, who knows wtf is in the gasbike version but I somehow doubt that half the price is going to be equal in quality.

Now I do ask what is the high performance carburetor you bought? Perhaps include a link or good picture? They sell like 3 or 4 types of high performance and if we don't know what it is we can't tell you if it's sh!t or not.

I'll note they sell the skyhawk like high performance cnc carb, they have the overflow hose hooked right to the auxiliary oil injection port (I only assume it's that) which ends up sucking excess fuel into th motor at more than 3/4 throttle. That's a big no no, overflow is over flow for a reason, and with a gas tank mounted in excess of 6 inches above the carburetor natural forces of gravity will indeed force excess fuel into the air stream non-atomized making for a very crap experience. The mains oil injection port is left open with a breather tube, which introduces air right to both jet ports, also stupid.

Change cdi to original first, then give it another shot, you might have an air leak, or possibly a badly tuned carb. If at all possible take the jet from your other carb and install it in the new one to help the jetting situation. This will give you a chance to reseat the carb for a tighter fit to help reduce chance of air leakages.

12. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

what a shame. putting the original crap back on.
    don't be lazy. jet the new carb.

Randall likes this.
  13. The high performance carburetor did ok but I think it was the high performance cdi that was the problem

14. Holly

Holly Member

Spend your extra money on good brakes friend. Worry about high performance later.

15. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

You were told by an experienced member (MotorCycleRacing) to replace one at a time.
    You didn't listen. You didn't do it. You didn't learn anything.
    Go back and follow his advice and learn which caused the problem.

If it is the the carb, follow Jag's advice, and learn about jetting.
    Most importantly, to stay alive, follow Holly's advice.

To go thru live buying stuff without learning is an empty experience.
    To be happy, we need a Purpose Driven Life, and the first purpose is to learn.

Steve

Holly and Frankenstein like this.
  16. I did do it first the cdi tried it fixed the problem. If I said I took off the high performance carburetor that was a typo. I learned that the cdi was the problem.

17. Randall

Randall Member

I agree with Jag .... jet that carb. I did and now my beast kicks a**!